MICs
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Donnyboy98

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya, Soon im getting a good pair of headphones and i will probably be needing a mic to go along side it. Does anyone have any suggestions of any studio quality mics and accessories that total to less that £75. I wont be adding filters or editing it in anyway as i dont have a clue how to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 12
I am not sure if this would reach studio level but I will be getting a http://www.modmic.com/ to go with either 990 pro or K550 depending which I end up buying.

I will be putting this through the Astro MixAmp.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 12
I use a Blue Snowball mic, which I plug in to the USB on my PS4. From what my friends have said my voice comes through well. This mic works well on PC too, I have no idea about XBox.

This is a desktop mic, so will not attach to your headphone.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 12
I am not sure if this would reach studio level but I will be getting a http://www.modmic.com/ to go with either 990 pro or K550 depending which I end up buying.

I will be putting this through the Astro MixAmp.

Do you have to put it through a mixamp? I'm stuck between the 990 pro, k612 and the Philips Fidelio x2 which is like double the cost of the other 2.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Isn't the mixamp mostly used for getting surround sound effects to headphones? If anything, you would only be using the mixamp to pass the analog signal to the PS4/XBOne, although this would not be necessary if you could "directly" connect it to an analog input for the console (Xbox 360 controllers have an analog input for the mic, but it is smaller than typical audio jacks).

If you use a USB mic, then you wouldn't be using a mixamp at all.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 12
I am really picky about being able to change the game and voice volume as I need, for me this is an option very high on my priority list. I would think you would need some kind of amp for those headphones or something to allow it to connect to the PS4. Having said that though I haven't tried to plug my 990's into the PS4 controller yet.

I will try this tomorrow.

Overall though coming close to day 3 now with the 990's and the mixamp and the sound is PHENOMENAL! I even stopped in the middle of a mission the other day to listen to slim ooze down a wall that I had never heard before. The comfort is perfect, had an 8 hour session with no sore ears or fatigue around my head.

So happy with this purchase.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 12
Isn't the mixamp mostly used for getting surround sound effects to headphones? If anything, you would only be using the mixamp to pass the analog signal to the PS4/XBOne, although this would not be necessary if you could "directly" connect it to an analog input for the console (Xbox 360 controllers have an analog input for the mic, but it is smaller than typical audio jacks).

If you use a USB mic, then you wouldn't be using a mixamp at all.

One of its best features is being able to "mix" game volume and voice volume so you get have it at a level you like when chatting or depending on the game (some can be louder with voice). Then when you are not chatting you just flick it all the way over to game and crank up those sounds as I throw fireballs at my enemies in DA:I

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 12
I was also thinking of getting one of blues mics I can't remember which one though. Would any of those need some kind of mixamp?

Oh sorry didnt see you were on PC, not to sure about that and having only just got into the headphone space I probably couldnt comment.

I would still think you would need an amp, put it this way I had my mix amp plugged into a PC at the shop when trying out headphones and the 250ohms was maxing out the amp and not even loud, so this made my buy the K550's (32ohms) which were really loud in the shop. When I plugged it in through the PS4 it is so much louder than the shop (like 200%) so I got an exchange for the 990s and they are perfect, still so loud that its not comfortable to play at max.

So there are a few variables going on to ensure you know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back