Microsoft Surface Go 2
Jun 22, 2021 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious if anyone is using a Surface Go 2 (M3, 8Gb, 128Gb) or can recommend whether it's a good option or not as a bit-perfect music player (using USB-C DAC/AMP).

I'll be using a 512Gb SD card with FLAC & also will be streaming Spotify HiFi (when available).

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite but of course this is android and everything is resampled (except via USB Audio Pro) which won't do for Spotify.

Would I likely get bit-perfect playback from Spotify Hifi through Windows 10?

The Surface can be used in Windows 10 S mode or Full Windows 10.

I just don't know the ins and outs of the surface to tell if it's a viable option for my uses or whether it's going to be janky, awkward to use, limited audio setting, whether it's worth it or whether there's other Windows 10 tablet type options out there.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 5
As it runs Win10, I have no reasons to assume it will be different from any other Win 10 implementation.
Personally I prefer automatic sample rate switching so any player allowing you to do so (WASAPI Exclusive mode) is fine e.g. Foobar, Musicbee, etc.

In general streaming services like Spotify play 2 channel 44.1 kHz audio.
You can set the Win audio properties to match the sample rate: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/AudioPanel.htm

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your advice. I guess I'm going to wait to see how Spotify implements their HiFi tier into their Android app and Windows app to see which one or both can do an "exclusive mode" for proper passthrough.

Android is essentially slicker to use but generally not as easy to bypass the resampling nonsense, hence the Surface option.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys,

I tried JRiver today on my laptop and it works perfectly with my USB DAC in Wasapi exclusive mode. Bonus also is I can stream my library via DNLA to my KEF LSX's without needing any Android apps.

Surface 7 Pro arriving on Monday (which will also be upgraded to Win 11 for free later) so looking forward to having a tidy little system rather big laptops and android tablets floating around everywhere!

With Win 11 now supporting Android Apps which can probably be sideloaded as well it makes sense to go for a Win based tablet so happy days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back