Micro Duke Universtiy meet
Oct 20, 2007 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gates_2

500+ Head-Fier
We had a little get together here at the university(last night at midnight) between three friends. Gear Included:

Parasound D/AC 1600HD
Krell Dac(don’t know which model, venito will have to fill me in)
B22(built by me)
Firstwatt F2(built by me)
Modded SCD595
Onkyo c390

Headphones:

AKG K501
K1000
AT W11JPN
AT AD2000

I’ll let others post their impressions, but I just wanted to talk about a couple…

W11’s (out of the B22) - These have a very refined, liquid-smooth quality to them. Jazz sounded amazing, and I was quite happy with the overall presentation for that type of music. It was my first time hearing an AT woodie, and I was certainly pleased. Kinda makes me wish I had the $$ to have 2 top-end headphones
K1000 with B22 as a preamp to the F2 – By far, the absolute best sound I’ve ever heard coming from a headphone. I was literally freaking out during listening. Bass was unlike anything I’ve heard out of the k1k’s, and the soundstage was the largest I’ve ever heard. I’m still kinda stunned by it actually…Those who predicted the B22 as an awesome preamp are absolutely correct

Pics:

img1007bk1.jpg

img1015no6.jpg

img1018mg4.jpg

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy shizzle, you guys have a lot of money for uni students!

Work endlessly during the summer and get something along the lines of a full-ride scholarship and you're good to go...even if your family is so poor that in-state tuition would be difficult to pay.

It's a hard life, but it's a satisfying experience even when you're surrounded by those who are better well-off than you right from the start.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get something along the lines of a full-ride scholarship and you're good to go...even if your family is so poor that in-state tuition would be difficult to pay.

It's a hard life, but it's a satisfying experience even when you're surrounded by those who are better well-off than you right from the start.
wink.gif

X2 (same for me)

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the impressions.

Is that a 3 board single ended B22?

And a bit OT, the comments on school took me down memory lane. Way back when, I got the full ride, worked in the summer and mostly traveled during the semester when I should have been in class. But I liked being on the road living the life of a low life gambler. Had plenty of cash in those days, good thing there was no headfi back then.
tongue.gif

Great experience and it still took them 6 years to throw me out of school!

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 9
hey mofonyx,

I haven't gotten a chance to do them separately, as I don't have a decent preamp to use with the F2... I'm gonna try to work something out and test it this weekend... but right now I'm working on a major problem I'm having with the Stepped attenuator on the B22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back