MG Head Tube Reviews part 2: The Rayethon 5751 Windmill Getter (fairly long)
Sep 9, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 41
My Raytheon 5751s just arrived from Chimera Labs! They look like the real deal, and no support rods either! Note that they're tested pulls, not NOS, but they look like new.

I'll try them out tomorrow and post my impressions, as it's getting late now.

EDIT: I couldn't wait. I rolled one into my MG Head and have Suzanne Vega playing. Mmmm... I think I'm gonna work late tonight...
biggrin.gif

EDIT #2: I brought one home and took a picture. Click here to view this wonderful sounding tube!

KJP

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #35 of 41
Got my Rays from Chimera... they would have gotten here sooner, but I had to open a new Paypal account (hit my sending limit).

Two thumbs up to Chimera! Great service, nice guy to deal with!

And one of the Rays I got had a yellow label, too (Chimera asked me if I was OK with it before shipping), and it's identical to the two red labels I've got.

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #36 of 41
Interesting sidenote for Team Head: eBay has some nice auctions right now. I see:

* A pair of the magic Sylvania 5751's with gold lettering.

* A quad of "Volterex" 5751's that might be rebranded Sylvanias.

* A NOS Tung Sol 7025 in incredibly good shape.

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 41
For those of you who bought one of these Raytheons, how do you rate them against your other favorite 5751/12AX7 tubes?? After reading Eric343's review I am hoping others share in his rave review of it.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

For those of you who bought one of these Raytheons, how do you rate them against your other favorite 5751/12AX7 tubes?

I plan on posting a comparative review of my modest collection of 5751s after I upgrade my source. It probably won't be for another week or three. But so far the Raytheon is my favorite!

Sep 25, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #39 of 41
I just noticed this thread.

I have five Raytheon 5751's. Some have the "support rod" referred to in this thread, and some do not.

It's not a support rod -- at least I'm pretty sure it's not. It's the filament ground tap.

I have Westinghouse-branded versions with AND without this "rod." dhwilkin traded them to me for some custom cables about a year ago. I also have Raytheon-branded mil-spec versions, all of which seem to have the "rod."

To tell you the God's honest truth, I can't tell any difference between them in my MG Head DT (or should I say, in what's left of my MG Head).

This tube is my favorite for this application. I haven't tried the Sylvania Gold Brand -- but those of you who know me know I'm too cheap to shell out for one of those, so I'll never know.

Sep 25, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #41 of 41
Video-I have a Sylvania and the Westinghouse I will say that I slightly prefer the Sylvania. Like I said before though, it's a close one in my opinion. I would say that I like the Sylvania because it has just a little more in the audio effects region, in that it's a little more detailed, a little more 3D. Unfortunately I don't have my amp with me this week so I can't get anymore detailed than that at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back