MG Head OTL arrived today
Aug 20, 2002 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jvh

Head-Fier
I am fairly new to tube headphone amplifiers. I have had a Mapletree audio Ear + for about 2 weeks and a Wheatfield HA-1 for 4 days.

My MG Head OTL arrived today thanks to daycart1, The amp is absolutely noise free, no hum no buzz. Dead quiet at max volume w/no source signal.

I let the amp warm up for about 30 minutes and began listening.

I auditioned the amp with it's stock tubes for about an hour out of the OTL jack through my HD 600's w/equinox cable upgarde. (the cable just happened to arrive today also.)

A few days back a I picked up a pair of NOS Brimar 6BQ5's and a Siemens 5751 Gold Grade from Brendan D. Biever at Tube World.

I rolled these tubes in and allowed another warm up period. I began auditioning again with the same material. The change was very noticeable. The sound became richer and more detailed. More separation between instruments and tighter controlled bass.

I can only expect the sound to get better as the new tubes and cable burn in.

I do have a RCA 7025 that Alan supplied with the amp and a Raytheon 12AX7 to compare in the future with some lengthily serious listening sessions.

John

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jvh
I am fairly new to tube headphone amplifiers. I have had a Mapletree audio Ear + for about 2 weeks and a Wheatfield HA-1 for 4 days.

My MG Head OTL arrived today thanks to daycart1, The amp is absolutely noise free, no hum no buzz. Dead quiet at max volume w/no source signal.

Wow, you're in a position to do some great comparative reviews! Can the MGH and Mapletree stand up to the highly regarded Wheatfield? BTW, your new amp's tubes weren't quite "stock". Stock is Ei and Sovtek. You got JJ and Electroharmonix which should be somewhat better. Good to hear that you've already improved on them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 9
jvh
Welcome to the mgh club! I've had mine for a few weeks now -- also use the HD600's. It's a good combo.

There are lots of threads on mgh tube rolling, but I'll throw in my .02 here. I see you already have some good tubes. If you want to play some more, be sure to check out some of the 12AT7 variants as well (e.g. the 6201, 12AT7WA, etc...). Some of these are cheaper than the most sought after 5751 types.

Here's a link to a tube substitution guide that I have found useful. Tube Substitution Guide

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 9
Lindy,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fadamacka,

I haven't spent to much time with the Ear+. Unfortunately it is going back for replacement or repair.

When the unit arrived after setting it up I pluged it into my BP-jr. It tripped the GFI circuit. I plugged it directly into the wall and the unit powered up. I also noticed the power switch did not have any affect. The unit was always on.

I spoke with Lloyd at Mapletree and he said maybe the switch was shorted. I bypassed the switch and it still tripped the GFI on my BP-jr.

I meter tested the AC socket on the amp, There was continuity between the center ground and one of the ourtside prongs.

Out of curiosity I removed the fuse and plugged the unit back in, It powered up with no fuse in place.

The unit will most likely go back today.

John

frown.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Glad to hear you like it.

I've had my MG Head DT for a year and it sounds wonderful...it does improve over time. I'm still on the stock Russian Sovtek power tubes.

I live in Canada and buying in the US makes it difficult because the broker fees/shipping and minimum orders some of these companies charge would cost me more than the amp.

One day. But I doi love the fact that it's noise free and built like a tank.

I've even used it as a preamp with great success. 1/4 pin to RCA jack adapter and Voila...great little preamp for a bedrrom system - perhaps the Wave 8 monoblocks? I'm thiinking of it. The MG Head is so quiet that it can pull double duty as preamp...impressive.

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 9
I also live in Canada, and have found shipping to be a problem...but there are ways of minimizing it. First of all, don't ship with UPS or Purolator (they charge excessive brockerage fees). Instead, use FedEx, or if that's not an option, go with USPS. Neither of them charge extra for brokerage. Second, try to get something manufactured in the US. With NAFTA, all you need to pay is taxes (which you'd pay anyways if it were in Canada).

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jvh
Lindy,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fadamacka,

I haven't spent to much time with the Ear+. Unfortunately it is going back for replacement or repair.

When the unit arrived after setting it up I pluged it into my BP-jr. It tripped the GFI circuit. I plugged it directly into the wall and the unit powered up. I also noticed the power switch did not have any affect. The unit was always on.

I spoke with Lloyd at Mapletree and he said maybe the switch was shorted. I bypassed the switch and it still tripped the GFI on my BP-jr.

I meter tested the AC socket on the amp, There was continuity between the center ground and one of the ourtside prongs.

Out of curiosity I removed the fuse and plugged the unit back in, It powered up with no fuse in place.

The unit will most likely go back today.

John

frown.gif

so you havent tested the combo at all? :p

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Fadamacka - I listened to the RS1's with the Ear+ at the last Dallas meet. I must say, nice match. I don't remember anything specific about it, but I do remember that I liked it. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you any... but it's an effort
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back