Meze Empyrean, Hifiman Arya, LCD-X 2021 or something else.
May 25, 2023 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

glpsace

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been reading a lot and the more I do, the more it gets harder to choose, so I really need you experience here, from those who have tried at least 2 of these HP.

Iam 46 years old, from Lisbon Portugal, and it was only last year that I discovered this hobby / new passion.

I don´t have much gear and the only other serious headphone I had, not mentioned in my signature, were the Meze 109 Pro and the Grado Hemp.

I mostly listen to Instrumental Progressive Metal / Rock (Plini, Scale the Summit, Chon, Sithu Aye and so on) but also bands like Pink Floyd, Steven Wilson (also Porcupine Tree).

My Grados are light bass and treble enhanced. I don't mind the treble but with my genre of music it can be too much sometimes. I'm also looking for something different and that is why I'm turning into Planars, especially for the bass, also a different taste to the Dynamic I had/have.

The Hemp and the Meze 109 Pro were the best bass HP I had but are gone for different reasons. Too many HP with similar characteristics and considering resale value they were the ones who sold easily. I liked the bass of the Meze, as the Hemp, but more of it wouldn't be an issue for sure as long as its quality can keep up the quantity.

Unfortunately, in my Country it is very hard to find good HP to demo, so everything I get is just a blinding guess, mostly from reading.

Despite expensive, I'm thinking about a Meze Empyrean but also the Hifiman Arya and maybe even the LCD-X 2021 from Audeze. I'm not so sure about this last one because of weight alone.

I believe the Empyrean could fit my music style like a glove and I have read a few times that it has an amazing synergy with the modest Rupert Neve RNHP amp that I have, so that is also a big plus for sure. But even in the used market it costs around 1700 / 1800€ and once I upgrade the cable and probably get the new Alcantara angled pads or Hybrid Elite that seems to solve many of its "issues", I'm around 2100/2200€. This compared to an Arya that will cost me around 900€ used. 1200/1300€ if I wait for the new version that just came out. It seems that the Arya is not at the Empyrean level, especially regarding bass but the investment difference is also major and many consider the Arya one of the best HP regarding the price/quality ratio.

I guess my question is if, in your opinion, the difference is justified or not?

I also plan to listen to a little of Electronica and I'm not sure if the Arya is suited for it like the Empyrean seems to be, in the bass department.

Regarding the Audeze, many seem to love the LCD-X despite its weight. I have the chance to get a brand new sealed one for 1000€ and that could also be a good deal.

Choices, choices! :beyersmile:

Anyway, sorry about the long post and really looking forward to your opinions on this. Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

May 25, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi, I've owned the Arya Stealth and LCD-X 2021, and I've heard the Empyrean and 109PRO.

The Arya is indeed bass light but it's very cohesive and airy sounding. The Empyrean has the most bass of these three, but it's somewhat bloated... a little muddy. The LCD-X has a punchier bass, but it really needs some EQ to perform well.

If you had some more power, the Hifiman HE6SE v2 would be worth looking into. If you care more about dynamics, bass impact, and detail than overall tonality, the Focal Clear would be another option.

May 25, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 7
What DAC and amp are you using? Maybe look into your chain and see if you can bring more life into your existing headphones.

However if I had to choose based on my listening experiences of the three you've mentioned, the Arya would complement your existing collection, especially if you're willing to do some EQ.

That being said and based on your music preferences, the LCD-X would be a good choice.

But if you sold all your existing headphones and just kept one, then the Empyrean would be my final answer.

... So basically get all three lol.

Edit: sorry just saw your signature. My answer remains the same :wink:

May 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you guys for the answers.

I don´t have intention of upgrading DACs and Amps. Already have 2 amps and they are more than enough, so I won't be concentrating on very power demanding HP. The HE6SE V2, HP that I also had under my eye at first, besides being very demanding has some "issues" with QC and therefore it seems a lucky game to find a good used unit and as I'm no expert I don't plan to enter that game. But thank you for the very valid suggestion.

I also have no interest in EQ, so whatever choice I made, it should provide me with the "best" possible SQ with the native presentation. Don't get me wrong, I like my Grados. I just want a different flavor in signature, more and better quality bass and tonality is important. I believe I'm looking for a warmer HP, maybe more relaxed and that will allow me to listen to some Electronica, so the lower section is important but always keeping in mind the overall "balance" of the SQ, for my favorite genre.

I had kind of ruled out the Empyrean, a few months ago, but with the new Alcantara angled pads, it seems that it solves many of the "issues" that the Empyrean had.

The Arya would seem the "smartest" choice of the lot, if only it had more bass presence. In theory it seems the closest to Dynamic HP and that is exactly what I'm "running" from in this particular HP purchase decision.

If I wanted another Dynamic HP at this point I would probably go for the NDH-30 but that is not the case, in this moment.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're not up for EQ, I would rule out the LCD-X... it's fine without it but just fine. With EQ, it really starts to come alive. It sounds like you're leaning towards the Empyrean, which is a fine headphone. I did a side by side with the Elite and landed on that one because the low end is better controlled. But the Empyrean is still a fun headphone that excels in a lot of areas.

May 25, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 7
If the weight doesn’t bother you (like myself as well) the 2021 LCD-X is a VERY good headphone.

May 25, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 7
109 Pro sounds so different compared to Empyrean. It closer to Elite in character.

Rather LCD-X, I would suggest take a look at MM-500 if you want something from Audeze. Closer to neutral, tighter bass, more presence Midrange, better speed and detail, and kind of "near field" imaging like Grado (not as intimate as Hemp of course).

Hifiman Arya (regardless the models) is a brighter and thinner sounding headphone compared to Hemp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back