Metallica - S&M; how's the sound quality?
Nov 3, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 23
mcbiff, you got to get the first three Metallica albums before S&M...but thats my opinion at least.

Also there are remasters of Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightning, but I haven't got those yet.

Also what do you mean by many "new" songs. Many new "old" songs that you haven't heard...or new "new" songs hehe. Fade to black is a classic...but it isn't new hehe.

Nov 4, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
mcbiff, you got to get the first three Metallica albums before S&M...but thats my opinion at least.

Also there are remasters of Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightning, but I haven't got those yet.

Also what do you mean by many "new" songs. Many new "old" songs that you haven't heard...or new "new" songs hehe. Fade to black is a classic...but it isn't new hehe.

I'm only missing Kill 'em all now, then I'll have the three first. I'll pick it up soon. Seek and Destroy is a great song.

By new songs I mean stuff from Load and Re-load, like The Memory Remains and Fuel for instance.

I know FTB isn't new, but it kicks ass nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 23
Honestly I think the S&M version of Metallica's "new" songs are a bit better than the original "new" songs...but I prefer the original old songs.

Kill 'em All is a very raw sounding album (unpolished)...but I like it that way.

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 23
I Love Metallica!!!

I also have a growing interest in classical music. You'd be surprised at the looks you get on an airplane when you're listening to Metallica while reading Classical Music for Dummies(which is a great book by the way, I'd highly recommend it, it even comes with a free CD).

I own all the Metallica albums and each one is great in its own way, especially the older ones. They're like a completely different band than when they recorded the later albums.

That said, S&M is the best Metallica CD that there is. I almost cried when disc 1 got a scratch on it. As much as I love the originals, after hearing them with the symphony, the originals sound like they're missing something. It's almost a synergistic effect of Metallica playing with the power of the orchestra behind it. It is an incredible combination. I was just at the Boston Symphony Orchestra last night and at times, the unamplified sound from the orchestra rivals that of standing 50 feet from the speakers at Woodstock a few summers ago, it's intense.

What is even better than the CD though is the DVD. It is a two DVD set with audio tracks of both the band and orchestra in 5.1 dolby digital along with 2.0 tracks of just the orchestra or just the band, it's awesome. The power and energy of seeing the orchestra play while hearing it in surround sound is awesome. You can also pick out details in the music that you may have missed because you can see them being played such as chimes and stuff.

So, buy the CD, and then buy the DVD.

Nov 18, 2001 at 8:01 AM Post #22 of 23
grr223 - Don't mean to rain on your parade, but IMO Therion's Vovin walks all over S&M. So does Deggial. So does Secret of the Runes. Vovin is the most simplistic as far as the insturments and vocals go, but it still sounds excellent and is an easier listen so I reccomend it first.

S&M has been heavily compressed, but dosen't sound bad to my ears. The only song I can really stomach, however, is the Call of Ktulu, which was done exceptionally.

But Therion sounds an order of magnitude better. It is so well integrated together you wonder why there isn't another group like them at all.

Favortie classical pieces of mine -

Gerschwin - Rhapsody in Blue
Bach - Tocatta and Fugue
Bach - double violin concerto (No clue what number it might have)
Bach - Allegro Concerto #3
Beethoven's 5th, 7th
Mozart - Turkish March
Chopin - Black key study

Just to name a few
smily_headphones1.gif

An interesting website you might want to check out is www.bachfaq.org, lots of information about Bach, and lots of information about musical theory (Can get somewhat complicated)

Nov 19, 2001 at 8:24 AM Post #23 of 23
Xevion, thanks for the recommendations of classical pieces. Ever since I went to the Boston Symphony Orchestra the other night, I've been kinda obsessed with finding more classical music that I like (You'd probably agree that downloading 3.67 gigabytes of classical MP3s in 3 days is an obsession).

I'm finding that I don't like the Baroque period too much. Harpsichords remind me of guys in white powdered wigs. I prefer the Romantic period much more. I'd recommend Bartok and Mussorgsky as my two most recent favorites (that is until I listen to the remaining 3 days of music I have).

Who/what are Deggion on Therion? Are they composers or bands? I'd be interested in hearing what you recommend. Thanks guys. Bachfaq.org is great. But for a link to information on that level on all classical composers try www.classical.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back