"META42"s on protoboard
Oct 16, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 26
Yes... I just did a #47, and have similar questions about the naming convention there, too.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 26
Hmm, thing is, we really need something simple. I don't think people would like saying "I love my new 8610/2x2001!"

I still say we name it #42. I mean, sure, the current version design is bit different from ppl's/Apheared's original creations, but we have to acknowledge the original creators.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 26
Well, since almost every of those amps is unique (different opamp, different capacitors etc.), you can't really give it a name and you don't really have a point of reference for comparison. Tangent et al created a *framework* around a multiloop amplifier. The name of their group's circuit board is META42 and you could call any amp soldered on that board "META42". That would not be enough for comparison without specifying each and every component but at least others would know what are you talking about, roughly.

But tangent is absolutely right, if you're making a multioop amp on a protoboard, you can't call it META42. It's just Experiment #5289 or whatever. Calling it "META42" just creates confusion and also doesn't acknowledge the origins of the amp properly (and one of the creators is you, who did the protoboard layout, no matter how crappy it is).

Oct 17, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 26
Apheared named the original design (on protoboard) "ppl's 2001 Space Oddity."

However, since he called it the "Cmoy Variant #42" in the title, the name stuck and people referred to it as the A42 until it turned into the ETA42, and then the META42.

(original Apheared post: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=&threadid=473
)

So I'd suggest we call protoboard variants "A42" or "ppl's 2001 Space Oddity" (P2SO for short)

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 26
The people who developed the PCB and circuit design deserve a lot of credit for their fantastic accomplishment. I admire the work. Diluting the name might change this.

But at the end of the day, why not call it a "META42-clone" and go have a beer? Let's not start a flame war worse than "GNU/Linux." META42 is a simple name that aids communication between people that already know better.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 26
The argument stems from the fact that META stands for the people that designed the board, not the circuit. eric: I also like A42 and Space Oddity.

Oct 17, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 26
Tooler: good point.

Andrzejpw: Glad we agree
biggrin.gif
Personally, my favorite is 'ppl's 2001 Space Oddity', since I'm a bit of a Kubrick fan
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 26
yeah i'm with tooler.

the ...well word "meta" has become somewhat of an institution around here; less an achronym. i bet there are a lot more people aware of the meta by now than of morsal eric tangent amph... sorry guys (gals)...

so yeah... my vote is for proto-meta, since the collection of designs was standardized for portable headphone amps in the meta42, no need to dump the name. i'm gunna go blow my nose in some kleenex and play frisbee. feel free to upgrade the design some more and we can can open up the semantics discussion again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back