Meta 42 project help
Oct 4, 2002 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Necroist

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

After reading the articles on headwize on the CMOY amps and reading up headwize's forum and the DIY forum here, I'm hyped up on creating my own Meta42 amp.

But where can I find a tutorial with the schematics for the meta42 amp? So far the only one I can find is the CMOY.

P/S : On the stripboard\PCB, how do you ground a point (on the schematics, a certain point is connected to the ground, how do I do that on the stripboard itself)

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 10
The META42 homepage is here: http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/index.html

You can order PCBs/parts here: http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/order.html

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 10
You don't have to do anything about the points marked as ground on the schematic. If you need to connect a pot or something else to ground, you can use the ground points.

Oct 5, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 10
alright.

Sorry if this seems like alot of questions. I noticed both CMOY's amp and Meta42 amps can use the particularly same Op-amp IC.

Yet, these 2 amps can perform differently. How is it that by changing resistors\capacitors\power blah blah... can have such an effect on audio quality too?

Oct 5, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Don't worry about asking too many questions. That's what the forum is for.
smily_headphones1.gif

All those things you mentioned affect the sound, but for the META42 the opamp probably makes the biggest difference.

Oct 5, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Necroist
alright.

Sorry if this seems like alot of questions. I noticed both CMOY's amp and Meta42 amps can use the particularly same Op-amp IC.

Yet, these 2 amps can perform differently. How is it that by changing resistors\capacitors\power blah blah... can have such an effect on audio quality too?

In a nutshell, I think that primarily the main difference between the Meta and the Cmoy is the fact that the Meta has buffers on its outputs relieving the load on the opamps themselves, while in a Cmoy, the opamp drives the headphones directly. There may be other differences, but I believe this is the main one.

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
In a nutshell, I think that primarily the main difference between the Meta and the Cmoy is the fact that the Meta has buffers on its outputs relieving the load on the opamps themselves, while in a Cmoy, the opamp drives the headphones directly. There may be other differences, but I believe this is the main one.

That, and the multiloop topology of the META42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back