Merry Christmas to me. HM-801 is in da house.
Dec 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Willieboy

100+ Head-Fier
After a false start in getting the unit shipped from China, it did ship on the 20th and arrived in Texas on the 21st.  Amazing.

I've just had the unit out of the box for 20 minutes and am listening to Ramsey Lewis' "Sun Godess".  Outstanding!  I've recorded some favorites on a 32gb SDHD that I'll transfer back and forth between the 801 and a Cowon D2+, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

As you guys know, the sound quality on the 801 is extraordinary and I'm really pleased with it.  I've done no tweaking of the sound (Don't even know if that's possible on this unit.)  I'm just listening to the sound settings as they were right out of the box.

Fit and finish are fine and, thus far, life is good indeed.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Glad to see you're enjoying it.  It really is an amazingly powerful little box, I still get wowed on a daily basis with the clarity, soundstage and realism of its sound.  And I've had it since August.

What headphones are you using?  EQ is possible (under the "User EQ") menu, but unnecessary unless you have a really bad recording.  Are you using an external amp?

Here's a tip:  Under Setting/Main Menu Set, remove all of the menu options that you don't use very often.  This made my navigating much easier.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey DJ.  Thanks for your reply.

I am enjoying the 801 as well.  I'm using Senn 280 Pro headphones and have some HD 600's on order.

I have a FiiO E7 that I've used with an Ipod and as a DAC.  I've not hooked it up to the 801 though.  Unless the HD 600 headphones change things, I have no plans to add an external amp to the 801.

I took your advice and removed the unused options and, as you said, navigation is a little easier.  What I do find helpful is the "Favorites" option.  It's nice to be able to segregate those special songs for easier access.

The only gripe I have with the 801 at present is that I am unable to get the DAC function to work.  It would be really helpful if HiFiMan supplied a drawing and some instruction showing how the switches should be set and how to get the DAC to function.

Bill

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 4
What problems are you having getting the DAC to work?  I'm assuming you're trying to use the USB DAC, and not the SPDIF DAC?

Turn the HM801 on before connecting the USB cable, and after it's powered connected the cable to the "USB DAC" port (it won't work if you plug in the cable before you turn on the HM801).  Then just make sure you select the USB DAC under your control panel/audio options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back