Meier Cross-1 RCA plugs too small
Jul 22, 2003 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I received the Cross-1 about a week ago, I haven't had time to hook it up, so I decided to cover the RCA plugs with Cardas dust caps. Well, all four caps fell right off, the caps could not hold on to the plugs because the plugs are too small. It really wouldn't bother me if this was the end of my problem. However, just now I tried to hook up the Cross-1 using my 2 pairs of AQ Coral (connectors are non-locking type), guess what? They're so loose that the ICs slide right out of the plugs, I didn't even need to pull at all! It's fustrating because right now it's the only IC I have, and I've never have any trouble with these IC on other equipments before.
frown.gif

Haven't seen anyone else complain about it. Did I get a lemon?

Jul 22, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 14
yes, they are relatively small diameter. i squeezed my DH Labs male tips to fit into the diameter of the females in the Cross-1.
report that to jan if you can't do that with your cables - maybe he'll replace...

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 14
That's odd - I suggest either using interconnects with locking RCAs or, the better solution is talk to Jan about fixing this problem in your unit, and in future units.

-dd3mon

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 14
I tried to send Jan an email, but it bounced back.

Quote:

|------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|
<meier-audio@t-online.de>
550 Mailbox quota exceeded / Mailbox voll.

Jan, are you reading this thread?
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

don't worry, i e-mailed Jan this thread link
wink.gif

EDIT: it bounced back to me too!
darn...ok just send him a PM...

Jul 22, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 14
he he this reminds me that metal expands in heat
anyone wants to try his unit with that?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Dear Headfellows,

The problem with RCA connectors is, that they're not standardized! Sounds odd, but it's true. As a result sometimes male plugs don't fit properly into the female inputs. The inputs can be too small, but it also once happened to me, that the inputs of an amplifier were too large in diameter, putting a lot of stress on the plugs (and part of it broke off). The inputs of the CROSS-1 indeed have a rather small diameter. However, most interconnects do still fit. Locking RCA's are the best solution. Squeezing of male plugs is also an option but be very carefull! Don't break any of the blades.

My E-mail is working again. Ultrasone send me some information on their new models. The mail contained 10MB information and my mail-box was simply overloaded. (The information will be placed tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Jan

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
Locking RCA's are the best solution. Squeezing of male plugs is also an option but be very carefull! Don't break any of the blades.

This is unfortunate, because I bought the second pair of Coral just for connecting the Cross-1
frown.gif

The entire plug is covered like this:
aaqcor1.5.jpg
so I cannot even squeeze the male plug.
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 14
mad.gif

what will you do, then?
confused.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 14
I don't know, any suggestion? Well, worst come to worst I'll buy new ICs with locking connectors, I guess. It's just disappointing that I cannot use the AQ Coral. For now, cross-1 is sitting here unconnected.
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
The entire plug is covered like this:
aaqcor1.5.jpg
so I cannot even squeeze the male plug.
frown.gif

Maybe you can slip a jewler screwdriver between the outer cover and the finger contacts.

Jul 22, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Gergor, I'm sorry to hear about this dilemma. It's a long-shot, but it might be worthwhile phoning AudioQuest for ideas. It looks like they're headquartered in Irvine, CA.

Of the components in my inventory, the smallest (loosest-fitting) RCA connectors by far are on the RKV amp. Normally my problem is just the opposite though, RCA sleeves and barrels that are too tight, sometimes severely so.

TravelLite

Jul 22, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by TravelLite
Gergor, I'm sorry to hear about this dilemma. It's a long-shot, but it might be worthwhile phoning AudioQuest for ideas. It looks like they're headquartered in Irvine, CA.

Of the components in my inventory, the smallest (loosest-fitting) RCA connectors by far are on the RKV amp. Normally my problem is just the opposite though, RCA sleeves and barrels that are too tight, sometimes severely so.

TravelLite

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find out if AQ has an email address I can send to.

Yup, tight is more common. In fact, I'm surprised that the AQ is so loose on cross-1 because it's almost too tight for Sugden: I have to pull hard in order to disconnect the AQ ICs from the Sugdens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back