MD Player for use with Ety 4p
Mar 3, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 20
Just a bit off topic, but the newer lower-end USA-market Sony MD Walkman units (MZ-N505, MZ-N707, and the forthcoming MZ-NE410, MZ-N510CK and MZ-NF610) actually have 5mW + 5mW of headphone output - but at 24 ohms impedance, rather than the 16 ohms specced with other countries' versions of those MD units. Which means that the 27-ohm Etymotic ER-4P will get nearly the full 5mW + 5mW input when teamed with a lower-end Sony USA MD Walkman unit.

Those Sony USA-market MD units - when used with 16-ohm earbuds such as the famous E888's, will actually deliver 7.5mW per channel!
eek.gif

Note that this spec only applies to USA versions of those Sony MD units. Other countries get only 5mW instead of 7.5mW.

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Just a bit off topic, but the newer lower-end USA-market Sony MD Walkman units (MZ-N505, MZ-N707, and the forthcoming MZ-NE410, MZ-N510CK and MZ-NF610) actually have 5mW + 5mW of headphone output - but at 24 ohms impedance, rather than the 16 ohms specced with other countries' versions of those MD units. Which means that the 27-ohm Etymotic ER-4P will get nearly the full 5mW + 5mW input when teamed with a lower-end Sony USA MD Walkman unit.

Those Sony USA-market MD units - when used with 16-ohm earbuds such as the famous E888's, will actually deliver 7.5mW per channel!
eek.gif

Note that this spec only applies to USA versions of those Sony MD units. Other countries get only 5mW instead of 7.5mW.

I hope these slightly more powerful amps will be available in Canada as well. I'm hoping to get the MZ-NF610 and if it has a stronger amp than my MZ-N707 then so much the better.

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I hope these slightly more powerful amps will be available in Canada as well. I'm hoping to get the MZ-NF610 and if it has a stronger amp than my MZ-N707 then so much the better.

Unfortunately, Watchdog, this won't be the case. You Canadians will still get the same uninspiring 5mW/channel into 16 ohms, like the rest of the world. The 5mW/channel into 24 ohms spec is only for USA-market models - and only for those USA-market models designed to use a single internal AA battery, not the gumstick-powered models.

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 20
Good thing I live so close to the border then. With the Canadian dollar gaining against the US dollar and the fact that I can drive down and back pretty quickly means I'll be getting a US model.

I guess I'm taking a chance on warranty here, but I have a good friend who lives in Seattle, so maybe I could register the warranty in his name and use his address.

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 20
I had a look at the E909 and the E10 the other day. I was nearly sold on the E909 as the E10 was a little expensive. Its lucky I held off though, because after reading some reviews here it seems I could get an E900 on the net for less (than the price they were offering on the E909) and it seems a much better player.

BUT... ....I am having real trouble finding anywhere in the UK that sells the Sharp DS8. Before I go running after the E900 (£144.99 from hifibitz), i want to at least see how much they are, and hopefully give one a try?

Anyone know anywhere?

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back