MD Dig Sync Rec: How does one prevent the loss of beginning of songs?
Oct 6, 2001 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dgs

100+ Head-Fier
I took the plunge and bought a minidisc recorder--Sony 700DPC. It sounds really nice. So far, I'm quite happy with it. I'm using it for a number of things: to record some speeches, to make travelling music for my commute, and to archive my cassette collection (the wife is just sick of seeing a zillion tapes lying around our apartment (and rightly so))…

So, to my question:

When I use the Digital link and sync recording from my computer, some of the songs get cut off at the beginning by a few fractions of a second as the MD recorder begins recording. This does not happen universally, but enough that I find it incredibly annoying.

Has anyone figured out a way to solve this problem?

Some possible solutions:
1. Insert 0.5 second of silence at the beginning of each track (I can make my ripper do this during DAE). If the unit is registering data stream and not sound (which it should, right, it's digital?), then would it "hear" that silence and start recording, thereby sparing the beginning of the track?

2. Insert a not entirely silent something before each track--like a very very low hiss to make the recorder start. I don't particularly like this idea for two obvious reasons: it will mean every song will have a hiss before it (revealed by headphones for sure) and the labor-intensive job of inserting this piece into all the tracks.

3. Maybe a different mediaplayer would help with this (although I don't see how)? Right now I'm using winamp v2.75 (x86) with the eq turned off.

Has anyone had this problem? Got a suggestion/solution? Thanks.

Oct 6, 2001 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Maybe the technology has improved(?!?) since my MZ-R55 was produced, but as far as I know (and i'm not that knowledgeable, so don't beat me up too badly if i'm wrong
wink.gif
) when you start synchro record the music is dumped to the anti-shock memory (whichever variant) - So, even if it was a matter that the players motor wasn't fully up to speed, the memory would dump onto the disc when it was so (and if it took more than 40 seconds i'd be seriously concerned for the MD player
wink.gif
)

Maybe there is a problem with the soundcard you're using? there was a thread about something similar a while back, i can't remember the specifics of it though - maybe the "Start" pulse comes through a few milliseconds too late which affects the recording... as i say though, i don't really know - just ideal speculation

I've never had any problems with my MD running direct from CD - have you tried that too, and experienced the same problem? If so, could be a faulty unit?!

Oct 6, 2001 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 9
I vaguely recall reading in a review (something by Brian Youn??), that some earlier Sonys do what dgs mentioned here, when used with a computer, but also that it's been fixed on later models.

All Sony and Sharp portables I've used have no problems with sync recording from CD. Panasonic's MR200 is the only one that seems to lose a small fraction of a second when sync recording starts up, and I've resorted to not using sync with it.

Oct 6, 2001 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 9
dgs: I had the same exact problem - and it never went away. If you REALLY REALLY want to record from your comp, I suggest getting Xitel's Analog USB link - the digi ones are pieces of ****. Literally. I mean, for some ppl they work, for other they don't. In addition, they have a S/N ratio of around 80 db! This is DIGITAL we're talking about....with that kind of S/N ratio, no wonder the few recordings that DID work out on my MD with the comp....all sounded terrible compared to a real digi record.

If you can - burn CDs, and record digitally. The comp. based solutions just haven't matured yet....
rolleyes.gif

Or......upgrade to a NetMD machine ASAP.....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck....

Oct 6, 2001 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies.

It only happens on maybe one out of 5 songs or so, and it's less than a second that gets cut off.

It only happens when using digital link from my computer. I haven't tried using a CD player with digital out yet (have to buy one). But it has nothing to do with my crappy sound card since I'm bypassing it completely.

The recording sounds great otherwise, better than analog from my stereo or analog from my Yamaha home CD player.

I can burn CDs and then do it, but that adds another step to my recording, and it makes it hard to mix analog and digital signals (like taking a piece off of a record (yes, LP) and a piece off a CD).

I'll tinker and let you know what I come up with. I have 10 days before I have to return it if I don't like it.

Oct 6, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Do you guys know if it has anything to do with what player one is using on the computer? Winamp vs. Realjukebox vs. Musicmatch vs. Win Media Player? I'd rather not install all of these just to find out if it helps...

Oct 6, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I had BEST results using Windows Media Player (7) playing straight from the CD (no WAVs/MP3 here, sorry).

even then, Sound Quality was only slightly better than tape; also - opening cutoffs STILL occured....don't know why.

Still - if it sounds good to you, AND works ok, I say....use it! It's a great feature when it works. Also - if the cutoffs only happen to u about 20% of the songs....well....do those 20% over. That's what I'd do
biggrin.gif

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs
Do you guys know if it has anything to do with what player one is using on the computer? Winamp vs. Realjukebox vs. Musicmatch vs. Win Media Player? I'd rather not install all of these just to find out if it helps...

I've read a lot of complaints like this on various MD forums and often the common denomimator seems to be WinAmp (no personal experience). I've never had any problems with MM Jukebox. Might be worth a shot.

Oct 14, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I can tell you this: winamp had skipping and cutting off problems than WinMedia player (WMP), but WMP had a TON of noise associated with it -- sounded like a 1930's radio broadcast. Haven't tried MMJ yet.

Right now, I'm not expecting any miracles with this, but if I come up with something that works, I'll report back.

thanks again for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back