Maxed out desktop and cosmic base station
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hello;

Will the cosmic base station drive the Maxed out desktop amp?

And, is the problem with power one of quality sound, or can you damage the equipment by running without the desktop power supply?

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 8
The Base Station One will run any config just fine. It is not quite as good as a DPS, but better than either the standard wall wart or the Astrodyne switcher.

The reasons for the differing power supply requirements are both the high current draw of the more spendy modules, and the more sonically revealing nature requiring cleaner power to make them worth the investment. Though, as always YMMV.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Much appreciated-while I like the look of the stacked desktop and DPS, that money could be better invested in the MAX DAC.

(Any one could alwasy buy the DPS when the next bout of upgraditus hits!)

Thanks Sloth

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mackay maus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello;

Will the cosmic base station drive the Maxed out desktop amp?

And, is the problem with power one of quality sound, or can you damage the equipment by running without the desktop power supply?

Sorry, MM, been away at CES and had some computer troubles. The Sloth got it right, as usual, you should have no problem using the base station.

What have you heard, btw?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Appreciate the info.

I probably did not phrase my question correctly re: damage. I was just wondering if running the maxed out units without the higher current provided by the DPS could damage them. I really don't know how electricity works!

It might be something you want to note on the web site for all us artsy but engineering challenged folks.

thanks again to both you and the Sloth!

matthew

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mackay maus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appreciate the info.

I probably did not phrase my question correctly re: damage. I was just wondering if running the maxed out units without the higher current provided by the DPS could damage them. I really don't know how electricity works!

It might be something you want to note on the web site for all us artsy but engineering challenged folks.

thanks again to both you and the Sloth!

matthew

There is little possibility of damage the equipment by running a power supply with insufficient current. You may damage the power supply however.

If you overload the power supply, by drawing (or at least trying to draw) too much current, the voltage will sag a little and the current output will not increase even when the draw increases, so the headphone amp itself will simply not get as much power as it is asking for. The power supply may overheat and fail.

Think of a shower - if there isn't enough water pressure, you'll get a pathetic dribble - you'll still get wet though. You can open the valves further if you like but the amount of water isn't going to increase. It's not going to hurt you. Put too much pressure through the shower and firstly you might burst a pipe and secondly that violent torrent of water flying out the shower head might hurt you.

For people who really get electronics, I apologise for the above, but I think it does the job here!

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Sloth; that explained in perfectly for me. You could write Electricity for Dummies!

Seriously though, I always admire a non condescending clear response from an expert. Its too easy and tempting to fall into ego stroking jargon.

I owe you a virtual beer!

M

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Here let me get one for The Sloth ... I owe him far more than one for his helpfull, non-condescending, and astonishingly accurate help over the years.

logo_marques.jpg

Cheers, Daniel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back