Matchmaker, matchmaker…
Dec 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RRod

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know of any software or incantation that will automagically process two masterings of the same track to make them comparable in an ABX test? Mainly I'm having issues with alignment, especially as it seems there are subtle differences in playback speed that can occur (i.e. if I align based on a feature at the beginning of the tracks, by the end the tracks will be slightly out of alignment).

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 5
If the samples are really different masters, it may not be possible to really make them comparable. But if the only differences are in level, delay, pitch, and EQ, then Audio DiffMaker could be used to find them (although it does not always work correctly). Or, if the samples are short enough, just upload them somewhere and post the links.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 5
  If the samples are really different masters, it may not be possible to really make them comparable. But if the only differences are in level, delay, pitch, and EQ, then Audio DiffMaker could be used to find them (although it does not always work correctly). Or, if the samples are short enough, just upload them somewhere and post the links.

Yeah I'm an idiot; I totally forgot about DiffMaker since I haven't used Wine in a while. Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to get stuck in native Linux mode.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Recordings that were original recorded to tape rarely play at perfect speed. There is always a slight pitch difference from machine to machine. They keep them calibrated, but that isn't precise enough to match down to the sample level.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
  Recordings that were original recorded to tape rarely play at perfect speed. There is always a slight pitch difference from machine to machine. They keep them calibrated, but that isn't precise enough to match down to the sample level.

Yeah that is probably what's going on here as the original CD issue was AAD. Sadly, Diffmaker crashes when I try to enable sample rate correction, so for now my quest is thwarted. I would like to get a full compare done, because the parts that I could get lined up sounded awfully close. This is comparing the original CD release of Angel Dust to the MoFi release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back