Matching Interconnects
Aug 17, 2003 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently using Outlaws to connect my source to my amp. I'm thinking of getting the Meier Cross-1 crossfeed which would mean I'll need another pair of interconnects. Should I get another pair of Outlaws to match what I already have? Unless I'm mistaken, the shortest Outlaw length is .5m and I really don't need them that long. What are the cons of having two different interconnects within the same set up?

Tom

Aug 18, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 3
If you've had success with those, stick with 'em.

Mixing and matching might be a bad idea. I'm more conservative with stuff I tend to like. I'm buying up all the different zu cables right now : ]

Aug 18, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 3
There are cables that absolutely don't go well with anything else. When you're in the upper end of things synergy plays an important role. When I auditioned a pair of Nordost Vahallas (a cable that is not known to be a good match with anything else other than Vahallas) I found that I liked the Vahallas in my system regardless of where I placed it (I liked it better when I played it between source to pre). I find that if you put a cable that are far superior to what you have you will generally achieve a better sound despite it being a bad mix. One good cable and one bad cable might sound better than two bad cables.

So if you want something better than the Outlaws then I would suggest getting a better cable and then upgrading the existing outlaw later if you're worried about synergy. But if you're happy with the Outlaws by all means get another outlaw and have the peace of mind that you have the same thing in your system. Just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back