Mastered Sound Versus DAC/Amp Coloring of Sound
May 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gryphon1911

Head-Fier
I'm not sure how to exactly put this and I hope I do a decent job. Wasn't sure how to word a search for this either...so hear goes.

I have been reading this forum and other sources quite a bit. I'm coming to grips with the concepts of neutrality and how different DAC, AMP, HP and combinations there of can "color" the sound, affect the sound stage of a recording and so on.

I was at work and was running through one of my playlists and started noticing something. I am using my Samsung Chromebook Pro, cmoyBB 2.03 and AT M50x to listen to music through Google Play Music.

I went from Machine Head Psychotic to Stone temple Pilots Only Dying.

What jumped out at me was how much more balanced the Machine Head song sounded than the STP song did.
The STP song had the vocals and drum section much more forward than the guitar/bass.

So this got me thinking about the concept of "veiled" headphones and how much of that is true in totality.

I'm pretty certain that there are more factors to take into consideration and all are cumulative.
So, in my head, all things contribute to the sound from HP to amp,DAC,source quality as well as how the material was mastered at time of recording and any other factors one might throw in such as equalization, bass boosting, etc.

I'm really just kind of stream of consciousness-ing this, hoping that by writing it out and possibly getting some feedback I can get some of these concepts and my own personal theories into alignment and get a better grasp on them.

Thanks for indulging me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back