Massive record washing suggestion?
Feb 13, 2004 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AquaAce

New Head-Fier
T:

Suggestions for massive record washing? buying lots of $.99 records at Goodwill and other local used offerings. However, most need a good washing.

lee

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 13
Good Morning:

I currently like to use about 75/25 h2o/alch, dash of dishsoap for the first few washings to kind of clean the record up. After that I just lightly dust prior to playing. Any budget additional suggestions?

Currently Playing: Cheap Trick, Heaven Tonight, Side 2.

lee

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 13
I would use a soft brush and some distilled water to get the first layer of dirt off of the record. Scrub gently so as not to scratch the record with dirt/grit/sand. More like guiding it off of yoru precious vinyl than scrubbing it off. I highly recommend a good record cleaning machine for the next level of cleaning - like the VPI 16.5 with Buggtussel record cleaner. It is amazing what some records will sound like after a good cleaning - like NEW!

Todd

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 13
So, Todd, Do you sell the VPI 16.5??

I need to clean my collection, and it keeps growing...

By The Way, I really enjoyed meeting you at the SEATTLE meet, and appreciate that you drove all that way, and opened sealed units to offer for test/sampling....You are an OUTSTANDING example of the best that the industry has to offer. You won my respect.

You can expect my business in the not too distant future.

Big Ugly Guy

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes indeed, I am a full fledged VPI dealer. The 16.5 is in stock and ready to ship and I have lots of Buggtussel record cleaner to complete the task. The cleaning machines are on my site but I am still adding the turntables.

Todd

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Todd, if I may make a suggestion?

Many times I'm reading a post of yours, and I get a hankering to go to your site and just poke around, and whatnot. And being that I'm lazy and I sometimes misspell vinyl, It would be a whole lot easier for me (and probably many others) if you'd have a link to your site in your signiature. I just think that it would be a benefit to you that anytime you're talking about something people can just click right to your site just under your post.

Might be good for business too!

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 13
I've got a VPI cleaner and am glad of it. They are expensive, but if you end up with hundreds of vinyls, they are worth it.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by The_Mac

Many times I'm reading a post of yours, and I get a hankering to go to your site and just poke around, and whatnot. And being that I'm lazy and I sometimes misspell vinyl, It would be a whole lot easier for me (and probably many others) if you'd have a link to your site in your signiature. I just think that it would be a benefit to you that anytime you're talking about something people can just click right to your site just under your post.

The link is in the signature of every page you view. It's at the bottom with all the other sponsors labelled as Todd.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 13
The only way to quickly and easily clean a ton of records is to get a record cleaning machine. There are plenty of slow, painstaking ways but a RCM is the only relatively quick/easy method I know of that's still effective.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Todd and other VPI machine owners,

anyone found a good way to quiet the machine down? dampening materials, mufflers?

from what i understand, the VPIs and NItty Gritty machines are ridiculously loud.

(of course the Loricraft and Clearaudio are much quieter, but at 5x the cost!)

thanks for any thoughts.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 13
You know, Todd DID register a shortcut. Check it out: http://www.ttvj.com
That's so easy! No need to memorize which kind of junkie, how to spell vinyl, how to spell junkie, how to spell todd.. Just 4 letters. TTVJ.

Quote:

Originally posted by The_Mac

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dfong87
Todd and other VPI machine owners,

anyone found a good way to quiet the machine down? dampening materials, mufflers?

from what i understand, the VPIs and NItty Gritty machines are ridiculously loud.

(of course the Loricraft and Clearaudio are much quieter, but at 5x the cost!)

thanks for any thoughts.

It is annoyingly loud, but it is not louder than a vacuum cleaner (for the floor, I mean). I'm pretty sure than a muffling scheme would not be worth it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 13
muffler: i had heard rumors that one could install a muffler that one can buy for a shop vac and i was wondering if anyone had tried such an operation...or perhaps adding damping material to the inside of the case.

i'm still a bit mystified what the Clearaudio and Loricraft are using for their "suction units" because all shop vacs and floor vacuums i know of are quite noisy...so either they are damping out the noise or somehow have discovered some very quiet unit for suction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back