Manufacture date on MZ-R50?
Mar 8, 2003 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know how to check the manufacture date of an MZ-R50 without the original box or documentation? On the MZ-R30, they put the date on the bottom, but apparently they don't on the 50.

It needs to be before a certain month so it has the ability to dodge SCMS. I've been having a hell of a time tracking one of these down.

BTW, I was at a pawn shop today, they wanted $130 for an R-30 with some accessories missing. I guess they're hoping some MD neophyte walks in some day and thinks it's a good deal.

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Would that date of manufacture have anything to do with the ROM version? If so you would just go into service mode [short pins 2 and 4 of remote jack with 2.4K resistor. I think the site you got that from has the "nintendo" method, as well. I can't remember exactly what it is. I know you hold down play and press << and >> a few times, and it ends in two presses of pause.. argh.]. It flashes all the display elements, then the rom version.

I take it you're doing that hack where the hold button becomes an SCMS strip button?

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 5
Yea, that's right. The thing is, I doubt many eBay sellers would be willing to get into the service mode, if you do it wrong (touch the wrong pins), you could ruin the unit. I wish there was another way.

Mar 8, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Sorry. I misunderstood you.. I thought you had the thing
tongue.gif
. Which is completely stupid of me.
redface.gif
. The only other alternative would be to buy it, then re-sell if it's not the right one. But they are getting collector prices now... Damn. Sorry.

Mar 8, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Yea, it seems like the average price on eBay is about $110, but for a recorder built as good as it is (with a line out), that's still a fair price.

I guess I could try the re-sell option, but then I lose out on shipping charges.

And I'm not planning to pirate or anything, it's just that I don't want to have to worry about what I can copy and what I can't. "NO COPY" pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back