M40X + SMSL M3 + ERIS E3.5 Combo works together?
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fy god

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, firstly i am a newbie about audio equipments. I have a few questions.

I have a pair of Audio Technica M40X and i love these headphones. But i am using this on my computer via Onboard audio card, so its not satisfying. I tried my headphones at work with an iMac, it was so much better experience. So i am planning buy a budget dac/amp and a studio monitor. I made a search, now i am thinking of buy a SMSL M3 and Presonus Eris E3.5. I haven't much option in here (Turkey). Also my purpose is just listening music, i am not a producer or something like that.

My question is, do these three parts work together well? Are these worth buying? And can i use both my headphones and monitors with SMSL M3?

Also i am open for another suggestions.

Thanks, have a good day.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 3
What motherboard do you have? Why are not satisfied by the onboard chip? Noise, crackles or just lower quality.

I own the Audio Technica M50X and Presonus Eris E3.5. I like them both very much.

The E3.5 speakers are excellent for their price. All kinds of music sounds great, however with these small speakers, the lower bass is lacking obviously.
They do have they own sound signature, which i cannot explain. So you'd better listen to them first before buying.

Until now, i have never used the headphones port on the E3.5, but it could be a solution in your situation, so i have just tested it:
- The sound is good, no noise or whatever
- You can change bass/treble of the headphone out with the knob on the back of the speakers
- Unfortunately the sound from the headphones is not exactly the same compared to the sound directly from the DAC. The lower frequencies are not as loud. For this reason i would not trust the headphone out of these speakers. You might fix the issue with the bass knob though.

I have no experience with SMSL M3 DAC.
I'm using a Fiio Taishan DAC using the SPDIF optical connection to my pc to avoid any electrical interference.
It has no volume button though. It does have both 3.5 and RCA out which can be used at the same time. The Audio Technica M50X headphones sound excellent when connected directly to the DAC. The volume is very loud though, so you need to either lower it in your software or you can add a analog volume knob to the chain.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back