M-Audio Sonica for desktop use
Jul 6, 2003 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about a cheap upgrade to use just for music and have read good things about the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, but don't really want to pay $100 for one. I don't need recording, multi-channel sound, or most of the stuff the Revolution 7.1 has. The built-in nForce2 audio on my motherboard works great for games, so I don't need anything for games. I am considering the M-Audio Sonica since it is cheap and doesn't have any extras that I don't need. I am just wondering how good it sounds compared to other desktop sound cards and how well it works for desktop use since I have only read about laptop use of this. I'd be using the analog out connected to my headphone amp.

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 5
[EDIT: My response concerned the Sonica Theater, not the Sonica, so was deleted.]

The Sonica is a good choice, though the Rev is better. Audiophile is better yet.

Jul 6, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I have both and I think the Revo sound better than the Sonica.

Jul 6, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Universal rule of thumb is performance costs. The Sonica isn't cheaper to fill the need for a great unit at peanuts cost, it's a peanut
biggrin.gif

You could always check the used section for a Revo or wait until you have the money. I don't use mine anymore since I got the Arcam so when I upgrade my PC in a few weeks I'll probably throw it up for sale.

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 5
I've been using a Sonica for a few months now and I really like it. The Revo may sound better, and I hope to try one soon, but saying the Revo is better doesn't mean the Sonica is bad sounding. It's quite good actually, I have been extremely impressed. I've owned a sizeable list of digital gear over the years that I won't list but I will say that in comparison the Sonica holds it's own and does a fine job. What I have done to improve on the sound is I added a musical Fidelity X10-D tube buffer stage to the analog output. The Sonica has no buffer stage in it's analog output, it's just the digital conversion with very little gain. What the Sonica alone can miss is that element of musicality, lifelike quality and dynamics that make music sound more real which a good buffered analog output circuit can provide in the way of dynamics, fullness and richness. The tube buffer really helps make the music come alive. The Sonica alone actually sounds damn fine for it's price, but paired with the X10-D tube buffer (I have Mullards in place) it sounds fantastic! Greatly reminds me of an Ah! Tjoeb I once owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back