M-Audio Revolution 5.1?
Aug 11, 2004 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fguo79

New Head-Fier
I just noticed newegg now is selling a new sound card "Revolution 5.1" from M-Audio. It seems quite an interesting card. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...121-116&depa=0

1. It looks like its older cousin while has better SNR around 109 dB, so does that mean it uses a different D/A converter? I am quite interested what DAC it uses.

2. Also based on Envy24 HT chipset, this card supports true 6 channel 24/192 playback.

3. As said from the M-Audio official website, they enchance game support of this card. I think that means better driver supports of EAX, A3D etc to lower CPU usage.

4.The overall design of this card seems quite different from Revo 7.1 and there is a mini jack specifically for headphone output, maybe threre is some amp circuit for it?

5. Newegg list a low price $69 while MSRP is $99

Overall, I strongly suspect this Revo 5.1 maybe a good choice for those looking for a music/game dual solution. I know this is a new card, let's see.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 6
that's interesting.

but with the emu 0404 out, i think it's beginning to be hard for people to recommend any m-audio cards along that budget.

it'd be cool if it has it's own integrated amp...though highly unlikely and if it does, it's probably not worth having.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 6
As for music play back I don't think this card can threaten E-MU 0404 which has a better D/A specification. It will jsut be interesting to see which DAC chip be used in this card. I do hope to see more Envy24 series based cards to use high end D/A or A/D converters as those used in E-MU products.

The appealling points of this card maybe lies in the well balanced aspects--decent 2 channel music playback, compatible with DVD-Audio and not bad game performance. If only it has integrated AMP for headphone.

Aug 17, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 6
The Revo 5.1 has a better 8ch DAC than the 7.1 which has a decent 2ch dac used in combo with a crappier 6ch DAC

See here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...15#post4208415

"Revo 5.1 uses a single 8-channel DAC (AKM-4358VQ) with good specs (112 dB DR/SN)."

Apparnetly 2 of the channels are not used. BUT it certainly seems a better card than the 7.1 with better DAC overall, both for 2CH, and MUCH better for mulitchannel analogue.

Aug 17, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonfed
The Revo 5.1 has a better 8ch DAC than the 7.1 which has a decent 2ch dac used in combo with a crappier 6ch DAC

See here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...15#post4208415

"Revo 5.1 uses a single 8-channel DAC (AKM-4358VQ) with good specs (112 dB DR/SN)."

Apparnetly 2 of the channels are not used. BUT it certainly seems a better card than the 7.1 with better DAC overall, both for 2CH, and MUCH better for mulitchannel analogue.

That explains the fact that it costs almost as much $$$ as its older 7.1-channel sibling.

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah..... i guess they only made it 5.1 so they could still sell the 7.1 card (obviously still have stock etc)

I have one on order from the states (can't get locally yet) will let you's know what i think (though it wont be compared on headphones...don't have(though am thinking about getting some) will be on Quad 12L's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back