M-audio Revo and Audiophile 24/96
Aug 8, 2003 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

loafier

100+ Head-Fier
I've been skimming thru the posts here, and from what I can tell the Revo has a better onboard DAC than the Audiophile, but the Audiophile has a better digital out. Is this basically the case?

Aug 8, 2003 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd say the Revo has the better DAC and an analytical analog section. The Audiohile has a generation behind DAC but has a fuller more musical analog section. Digitally they are equal with different feature sets.

Aug 8, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Revo has a better DAC and it's analogue outs are brighter. AP 24/96 has a warmer analogue out. Which is better depends what kind of sound you are looking for. As for digital outs, I find the AP 24/96 is a bit better and that's from having both soundcards in the same computer. The advantage AP 24/96 has is that it has SPDIF in so you can use an external device as master clock. I have a GWLabs providing this clock and the sound has cleared up quite a bit.

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
... The advantage AP 24/96 has is that it has SPDIF in so you can use an external device as master clock. I have a GWLabs providing this clock and the sound has cleared up quite a bit.

Hmm interesting. Could you elaborate on how this works? Also what is a master clock?

thanks

Aug 8, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 8
The clock is in control of the timing aka sampling rate which the soundcard works at. In the AP 24/96 control panel, you can select if you want the internal crystal to be used or the signal coming in from SPDIF in. Since there's quite a bit of electrical noise inside the computer, the internal clock has a bit of jitter. Using my GW Labs DSP, it really clocks the soundcard better and the sound is quiet clearer. Before that, I even used a CD player and the sound was again clearer but not as much compared with GW Labs DSP.

Aug 9, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Interesting,...

What sort of devices can you connect up to the Audiophile to control the clock? Would any CD player work, or are there special requirements

Aug 9, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Well hooking up a CD player may not necessarily be convenient because it has to be emmitting a signal through SPDIF while not playing music and not shut off automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back