m-audio 0404 with speakers and headphones.
Sep 6, 2004 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nakor

Head-Fier
I have a revolution 7.1 and I'm thinking of upgrading it to a m-audio 0404 especially because I think the revolution is broke. Is there a possible solution where I could somehow easily switch a cable to plug in my speakers instead of my headphones? I was thinking, the 0404 has dual mono balanced outputs, if I had two mono cables then converted them into a single 1/8 male that would go into my meta42, how could I use my speakers on occasion?

Sep 6, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 15
It's an EMU 0404...

And I have no idea how you could do that without getting some signal degration due to the adaptor.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Oh, whoops I mean EMU 0404.

So, when people who have an 0404 with headphones hooked up to it have other people walk into the room, they are inable to allow them to listen with suplimental speakers by any means?

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 15
Well not necessarily...
biggrin.gif
My PreSonus HP4 works as both a headphone amp and a preamp. I have the 1212m running balanced to the presonus which runs balanced to my M-Audio BX8 powered studio monitors. All I have to do is unmute the monitor out. The thing is, the E-MU line was designed to work in a studio environment with pro-audio gear. If you're using consumer gear it's going to be a bit harder to make it all work.

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 15
1. I don't suggest you buy a EMU if you only have 5.1/6.1/7.1 speakers, as the EMU is a 2 channel only soundcard. (youll have to buy new speakers)

2. With the right adaptors you could use the META42 to amp 2 channels of your 5.1 setup, but only 2 channels as the META42 is a stereo amp only. Also, since it is made for headphones, I doubt it would be able to drive those speakers adequetly...

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakor
Could I hook my klipsch promedia 5.1s to my meta42 headphone amp?

DO NOT DO THAT. You will clip the heck out of your PM's and could potentially fry the amp! Use them for your headphones. That is what they are solely designed for.

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
DO NOT DO THAT. You will clip the heck out of your PM's and could potentially fry the amp! Use them for your headphones. That is what they are solely designed for.

Your avatar goes suprisingly well with this post...
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Your avatar goes suprisingly well with this post...
biggrin.gif

literally laughed out loud at that one.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's true. Believe me, I own a set of Promedia 4.1's, and surf the Klipsch message boards all the time, and trust me, you do NOT want too much signal going into those suckers. In fact, I keep my volume at around 3/4, maybe 4/5, and then turn the Santa Cruz volume down from there, never EQ'ing because there's enough dials to control the sound.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 15
No, I never realy thought of a Revo 5.1 labeelen, I just wanted a way to use my speakers occasionaly with an emu 0404. I guess I'm looking for some sort of work around, like swaping cables somehow.

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 15
I recently got an 0404. I'm using them only with headphones, but whenever I want to switch back to speakers, I switch to the SB Live card. Sound quality doesn't matter since my computer speakers are cheap. If your revo still works, you can keep it in your computer and switch to it whenever you want to use your speakers.

If that's not an option, how about this: Use a Monster 1/8" stereo plug to two mono 1/4" plugs (this) to connect to your headphone amp. If you want to switch to speakers, use that same cable, along with a female to female 1/8" coupler (this) to connect the speakers.

That might work...

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 15
Thanks bassd00d I think I may do just that. I actually have a SB live value in a box somewhere since after I bought my Revo 7.1, do have both cards in your pc? How well does it work? Also, how do you like the 0404?

Sep 11, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, I have both the SB Live and the 0404 in my computer. You can switch between them using the Windows Control Panel. It works perfectly fine that way for me. Although I think you need to be on XP or Win 2000 for that to work. That info should be here in the forums.

I'm loving the 0404 so far...sounds great. Although I'm still waiting for my headphone amp (should be here next week). I'm using a BitHead as an amp for now, which is just fine. The PatchMix software does take some getting used to though. Not as easy as using the SB Live software, but not all that bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back