Lyr 3 vs XDuoo TA-20 vs TA-20 plus vs Little Dot
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maximum3535

New Head-Fier
I've recently tried out some tube amps at Canjam to see what people mean by "good distortion" and now I'm sold, my "clean" sounding magni heretic now sounds incredibly dry. I've tried to find info on the title options but I can't find any reviews that directly compares these options. I'm primarily looking for mid-fi tube amps that would work well with my 32 ohm Arya Stealth (i.e. hybrid, maybe OTC).

I know Josh Valour highly recommends the TA-22, that the TA-20 is a DAC-less equivalent to it, and the TA-20 Plus is an upgrade to the TA-20. XDuoo options run on the cheaper side in the used market so that's also why I'm gravitating towards them. Anyone have any input on these options or any other recommendations in this price bracket?

Are these mid-fi options more resolving than just putting one of those <$100 tube/EQ pre-amps in between my DAC and magni heretic? My heretic has more than enough power for my tastes.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah I was actually able to try out the vali and although impressions were limited on the noisy show floor, I felt that it was a bit harsh or shouty for me compared to other options like the ta-22 or lyr+. Also, in the used market a TA-20 isn't that much more than even a vali as this point. It's just hard to find good comparisons between the TA-20 and other common options, and I'm wondering if the TA-20 is actually sonically the same as TA-22's amp section from a user perspective.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back