Low-quality amp better than no amp at all?
Jun 7, 2002 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering buying a set of computer multimedia speakers, and one of the differences between two models that I am looking at is that one of them has an amplified headphone output, while the other has no headphone jack at all.

The headphone jack alone is a very nice feature, and I would guess that the included amplifier is only icing on the cake. The only thing is that I don't know how good the amplifier actually is. In general, is having even a low quality amplifier better than just straight sound? (will having a really crappy amplifier actually degrade the sound?)

Also, I assume that all amplifiers are the same- as in they "beef up" and "clean up" the signal a little. There isn't any amplifier that just "makes it louder" or one that just "cleans it up"?

BTW the two systems are the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 (I know, club me on the head, but my ears are very "newbie" yet so I think they sound good, plus they would fit my needs pretty well) and the Creative MegaWorks 510D. The Klipsch is the one with the amped headphone jack and the Creative is the one with no headphone jack.

Ruahrc

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 4
I have the Klipsch 4.1 and I've used my HD600 with it and the sound is better than straight out of a pcdp. I don't think it's all that bad really. I've also tried a pair of sr325. Although, I did find that a cha47 from JMT put out a much cleaner sound. As for Creative stuff, I don't much like them.

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, technically, there's no such thing as "no amp". Those headphone jacks have amps, too, so when you say "low quality amp", you really are talking about those headphone jacks.

Not sure what you meant by that 3rd paragraph.

When you are talking about the system that does not have a headphone jack, what are you thinking of doing in its place? If you're thinking of something like a JMT, then yes, that will most likely be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back