Low Profile Graphics Card that can run with a 200 watt power supply?
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

metalsonata

1000+ Head-Fier
Exactly like the thread title says: I'm looking for a low profile graphics card that can run well on a 200 watt power supply--preferably one that is fan-less, but at the least one that is very quiet in most situations.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 13
what interface? machines have not run on a 200 watt ps since like 386 afaik. i do know one that fit's your bill if it is pcie but i still can't see how a machine runs on that ps.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=582798&CatId=3670 if it is agp or pci there are still a few choices at tiger direct. look at the under $25 cards. if it is agp look at:
http://www.spartantech.com/products.asp?orderid=80750604325635927915572&cat=359

i hope that helps. that's all i know about. spartan is still keeping the p4 alive lol.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm actually not positive that it's a 200 watt power supply--it's an 'inherited' HP Slimline that for some reason does not have a serial number marked on the power supply, so that I cannot look it up. I'm not at home right now so I can't look at the exact model number of the PC itself, but previous attempts to find the stock power supply wattage yielded a result of 200 watts, so I feel fairly secure in judging that to be the correct wattage. Of course, if someone knows better or if my information is incorrect, that'd be great to hear. I'm fairly sure it's PCIE, but I'll double check before I make my purchase at the end of this week, of course.

I'm a newb when it comes to computers in general, so I've gotta ask a dumb question: can the VGA plug-in in the PCIE card in the first link be removed? There's not enough room for it in the case. It looks like it can, and it looks like the card comes with different panels to allow for different visible output configurations. I'm just confirming, for safety's sake.

Thanks for the info and the links, and if anyone else has any additional insights I'd be happy to hear them. :)

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 13
the vga can be removed and it has different brackets. that is really your only choice for pcie if it is. i hope you do not expect any performance out of this machine. i wonder what cpu it is. that is a very basic machine. still, that card will run older games with everything off. do not expect to play call of duty on this.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I don't really play anything other than some occasional Minecraft. Or ancient stuff like Civ II. So I think I'll be fine. ^^ CPU is an AMD dual-core 2.5 GHz.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 13
i suppose the cpu and card could run on 200 barely. with one hdd and cdrom(not dvd burner). you are even pushing it with that card but it is the lowest there is. don't worry though. even if a ps blows out it rarely "explodes". that is asort of an urban myth. it could happen but even then it is not much of an explosion. why not get a bigger psu? like a 300 or 400 is less that $35. i do understand not wanting to upgrade that machine too much though. that is still an ok machine imo. i can run windows 7 to use the internet just fine on a p4. yours is better than that. if it is pcie get the card i showed you.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 13
I suspect that finding a better power supply to run in such a tiny case may be a pain, or at least, it would be for me, given that I don't really know what I'm looking for. If you have any suggestions I'll take a look at them--I'm not adverse to doing some further upgrading, though I'm not exactly shooting for the stars or anything with this machine.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 13
One last thing--I've never installed a graphics card before. Assuming it's pretty much just plug it in and install the drivers--there anything else I should be aware of?

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 13
it takes some pressure to insert. there is a little hook that goes over the bottom of the card on the bottom once it is seated. flip it up. it takes some force to insert but do not manhandle it! if it seems like it is not going in pull it up and try again. that's all. when you open the case do not do so on carpet! thats about it, pretty simple actually. i assume you figured out it is pcie if you are ordering that card. if you are not sure you really have to know what you are looking at then.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I haven't bought it yet, but the card connecter looks like PCIE to me--it's broken into 2 'slots', the smaller of which faces the back of the case where the outputs are.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Nope, just getting it from a friend. I'm only going to be using it for basic stuff anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back