Low Pinna Gain Army
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bixby

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I am trending to this. I am not an adopter of the Harmon +10-12 db pinna gain in most iem sets. It confounds me to think that a handful (under 20 so they say) random "experienced listener" employees of Harmon came up with the curve for iems. That in comparison to 200+ normal folks who had input on the over the ear headphone curves.

Looking for low pinna gain folks who have found value oriented stuff that is worthy. Please share your findings.

I am not in the Dark Magician price envelope but might be tempted to Fudu, haha

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 2
I think I am trending to this. I am not an adopter of the Harmon +10-12 db pinna gain in most iem sets. It confounds me to think that a handful (under 20 so they say) random "experienced listener" employees of Harmon came up with the curve for iems. That in comparison to 200+ normal folks who had input on the over the ear headphone curves.

Looking for low pinna gain folks who have found value oriented stuff that is worthy. Please share your findings.

I am not in the Dark Magician price envelope but might be tempted to Fudu, haha
Can you recommend some low pinna IEM that you like? I wonder whether you want the 8dB (aka the new target followed by the likes of Supernova) or no pinna at all like some western IEMs

Edit: afaik, the curve is based on what the 711 coupler “hears” when placed in a “good room” with “good speaker”. It’s not that a bunch of people sit together with EQ and make the curve. It seems that the limitations of the 711 coupler is responsible for the 12dB and no lower mid, when it should be less pinna and more lower mid (aka the 10dB target measured by 5128)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back