Loud static when I turn my Lepai amp to max with Micca bookshelf speakers
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pewpewdave

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm new to audio equipment and recently set up my first starter bookshelf speakers with amp a few days ago. I had a blast during the process, and now I think I have run into a little problem. I've been hearing a little bit of static and faint beeping noise but paid no attention to it until I turned my amp to max and heard a really loud, whining static noise that I knew wasn't normal. I then proceeded to move my mouse and that's exactly the noise I've been hearing this whole time, when I move my mouse there's a faint beep and static noise that goes along with it. You can't even notice it when the dial is at 50%, but it's undeniably there and you can hear it at 100%. I've tried a few suggestions that people have recommended in the past, seeing that some users experience this same exact issue. I'm plugged 3 min into my wall socket, so I'm grounded. I'm using metal standoffs on my motherboard so there's no possiblity for an earth loop there. Not sure what else I could do, I connected my Lepai amp to my PC via RCA to 3.5mm and it's currently connected to my onboard. Any suggestions on what this could possibly be and how to fix it? Some people recommended purchasing a sound card, like a Xonar, but I want to exhaust all my options before buying the card.

Now that I've heard the noise, I can even point it out when the dial is at 50% so it gets irritating when no music is playing. The quality of the music isn't affected whatsoever, but I rather have this not be an issue. Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I've also read that it could be mouse interference but my mouse was made in 2014, razer naga, and it has a thick wire. Just to make sure, I disconnected the mouse and had no cables touching, plugged it into the front USB and still heard the static and buzz when I moved my cursor. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 6
If I get a sound card, would I just plug the Lepai amp into the cards 3.5mm green stereo output slot? I'm thinking of buying the Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card. But is a sound card really worth the extra money with an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back