Loud awful sound (like an alien invasion)
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yrun26

New Head-Fier
This isn't headphone related but I know lots of members on this site are quite smart and might be able to help.

I just upgraded my Klipsch Synergy F3 speakers to a pair of Klipsch Cornwall 3's and in the process of setting up a 2 channel system that will include running my HT receiver in pass-thru mode on my preamp. I'm still waiting for my Schiit Vidar's to come in, so I'm currently running my speakers on my Yamaha receiver. The only thing that has changed in my setup that's been sitting in my media room in the last 1.5 years are the new speakers.

This past week, my kids have been blown up by this alien invasion sound that randomly squeals through all the speakers when you least expect it while watching movies on dvd. Imagine a 2.5 year old watching Elmo and suddenly screaming like she's been shot with a blaster gun. It is LOUD, way louder than anything playing through the speaker.

CAUTION - TURN DOWN YOUR HP/SPEAKERS!!

It's random but seams to only do it while watching movies but not listening to music through chromecast. The sound varies with the volume knob. Comes through all speakers. LOUD AF.

Any of the smart engineer types know what the heck is causing this?

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Just took a look. I only have a few things plugged in behind the AV stand (av receiver, preamp, dvd player, chromecast) and the speaker wires don't run parallel to any power cords. The only other cables are a few RCA cables (turntable, sub-woofer) and a couple XLR cables (DAC). Would interference along a speaker cable cause all the speakers to make that noise simultaneously? I would think that it would only produce that sound in the wire that is getting the interference.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Its not just interference. I dunno. I got this wild theory. It could be that a wire can store an electric charge by being close to another wire and eventually that charge gets release in time and can go back to your amp, amplified and heard on all speakers. Some electromagnetic stuff, I think. Maybe 120Hz?

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 6
This isn't headphone related but I know lots of members on this site are quite smart and might be able to help.

I just upgraded my Klipsch Synergy F3 speakers to a pair of Klipsch Cornwall 3's and in the process of setting up a 2 channel system that will include running my HT receiver in pass-thru mode on my preamp. I'm still waiting for my Schiit Vidar's to come in, so I'm currently running my speakers on my Yamaha receiver. The only thing that has changed in my setup that's been sitting in my media room in the last 1.5 years are the new speakers.

This past week, my kids have been blown up by this alien invasion sound that randomly squeals through all the speakers when you least expect it while watching movies on dvd. Imagine a 2.5 year old watching Elmo and suddenly screaming like she's been shot with a blaster gun. It is LOUD, way louder than anything playing through the speaker.

CAUTION - TURN DOWN YOUR HP/SPEAKERS!!

It's random but seams to only do it while watching movies but not listening to music through chromecast. The sound varies with the volume knob. Comes through all speakers. LOUD AF.

Any of the smart engineer types know what the heck is causing this?

could be a stray strand of speaker wire touching the back of your amp?pretty sure something is touching ground some where....like wuwhere says start play with your cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back