loss sound like lossless
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

daid1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a question, which loss encode (vorbis, lame, ecc..) sound like (near them) a lossless format and with which bitrate?
Can you make a comparison based on your opinion of various format?

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 15
  Hello,
I have a question, which loss encode (vorbis, lame, ecc..) sound like (near them) a lossless format and with which bitrate?
Can you make a comparison based on your opinion of various format?

Opus is the best.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 15

Notice that the x-axis stops at 128kb/s. There and above it's pretty much a toss-up which performs better.

Right. After that bitrate matters more than format.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Ahh. 128k is still a pretty poor bitrate, so it's not surprising you can hear a difference. Most people here would recommend using 256k or 320k if you wanted to listen to music in a lossy format, as those should be pretty much indistinguishable from 1411k wav.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Ahh. 128k is still a pretty poor bitrate, so it's not surprising you can hear a difference. Most people here would recommend using 256k or 320k if you wanted to listen to music in a lossy format, as those should be pretty much indistinguishable from 1411k wav.

Opus seems to be made only for low bitrate but I could be wrong

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Actually to my ears Opus 128 (it's variable so sometimes as high as 150) is pretty transparent for anything I've actually bothered to ABX. Are you listening to the examples here?:
https://www.opus-codec.org/examples/

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 15
Opus seems to be made only for low bitrate but I could be wrong

Pretty much any decent codec can sound good at higher bitrates.  And they all tend to converge in subjective quality as the bitrates rise.

But the mark of a good codec is how it sounds at low-to-mid bitrates.  

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 15
Pretty much any decent codec can sound good at higher bitrates.  And they all tend to converge in subjective quality as the bitrates rise.

But the mark of a good codec is how it sounds at low-to-mid bitrates.  

But two years ago for example opus was good only for low bitrate, at high bitrate it wasn't efficient. I don't know if now is different

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 15
But two years ago for example opus was good only for low bitrate, at high bitrate it wasn't efficient. I don't know if now is different

Yeah, it's different now:

Opus can handle a wide range of audio applications, including Voice over IP, videoconferencing, in-game chat, and even remote live music performances. It can scale from low bitrate narrowband speech to very high quality stereo music. Supported features are:
  1. Bitrates from 6 kb/s to 510 kb/s
  2. Sampling rates from 8 kHz (narrowband) to 48 kHz (fullband)
  3. Frame sizes from 2.5 ms to 60 ms
  4. Support for both constant bitrate (CBR) and variable bitrate (VBR)
  5. Audio bandwidth from narrowband to fullband
  6. Support for speech and music
  7. Support for mono and stereo
  8. Support for up to 255 channels (multistream frames)
  9. Dynamically adjustable bitrate, audio bandwidth, and frame size
  10. Good loss robustness and packet loss concealment (PLC)
  11. Floating point and fixed-point implementation

Full specs at RFC 6716.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back