Looking to upgrade from ATH-M50!
Nov 2, 2014 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

likegoodsound

New Head-Fier
Hello folks of Head-Fi!

I'm new to the audiophile world relatively and I personally would not consider myself an audiophile. However I have grown accustomed to better sound the ATH-M50 produce. I now find cheap earbuds and headphones to be of inferior quality. Recently, I have been rather unhappy with my Audio Technicas ATH-M50LE as a result of cracked and aged ear pads which just added to the discomfort of long listening sessions. I was going to replace them but one day they fell off a small table and hit the ground about 1 feet off and they break. Well not entirely but a small portion on the right earphone that ensure the angle was 'locked' as well as rather serious cracking on the hinges. So now I have incredibly comfortable headphones and I just can't wear them for more than 15 minutes before I become frustrated with their discomfort.

So it looks like it's time to put these 'cans' away that introduced me into a world of rich audio before they break. So basically I am looking for some headphones of the same caliber or better than the widely recommended ATH-M50. I would of bought another set of M50's but the build quality has not been up to my standards, I had to send them in once under warranty because sound just completely stopped functioning one day. Also something more comfortable would really be appreciated.

Here are features I am looking for:

-very comfortable for long listening sessions
-does not require an amp(?)
-detachable cable(?)
-would not prefer pho-leather earpads
-solid build quality
-reputable brand

Open or closed headphones, doesn't really matter I suppose they will mostly sit in my room. I would like a decent set of headphones for $200 or less that meet my criteria. I am open to suggestions, and recommendations (even if over budget). 

I would mostly use these headphones for video and games, and the occasional music. If the headphones could produce a cinematic experience that would be astonishing. Basically I am looking for something that will be solid all around, If they can create a deep immersive experience the better.

One more thing, I have taken a look at the Sennheiser HD598, but they seem a bit fragile. The M50's looked solid but alas they were not(at least for me).

If you read the entire post thank you! If you read a portion of it and left a recommendation, it's appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this post! Also if anyone is interested in taking a look at the 'damaged' M50's let me know and I'll do my best to show it to you.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 2
Try the beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990 with 80 or 250 ohm impedance. I like the M50X also but I need to say the beyerdynamic is really nice sounding headphone that I ever heard.

Currently I'm looking for a new pair of headphone, while I'm interested in M50X, but the beyerdynamic is just nice and the only problem I have is that the beyerdynamic cost me a lot and it is hard for me to buy them.

Some research that I do in head-fi.org is that some people also like NAD VISO HP50 and soundmagic HP100/150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back