Looking to pickup my first pair of headphones and amp/dac
Oct 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kyleorsini

New Head-Fier
After spending days reading on here and other places, I still can't decide on a set of headphones and a amp/dac to pair with it.

My budget will be 500-1000cad. Uses will be for listening to music (mainly country, with some rock, and some pop) playing pc games non competitively. And watching movies. Mainly will be used on the pc and I've got a Asus xonar dx soundcard so not sure if that's going to be a good replacement of using a external dac. For movie watching I'll use my ht receiver (denon avr3313ci) will also use for gaming on the ps4 which goes through the receiver

There's soo many different headphone brands I have no idea where to start every set has ups and downs to them. As for a amp/dac
The schiit stack (modi/magni), o2amp odac or something from fiio seem pretty popular.

I live in Canada and will be ordering online, however if pricing is much cheaper in the USA that's an option as well.

Thanks in advance and look forward to learning more.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 6
After spending days reading on here and other places, I still can't decide on a set of headphones and a amp/dac to pair with it.
My budget will be 500-1000cad. Uses will be for listening to music (mainly country, with some rock, and some pop) playing pc games non competitively. And watching movies. Mainly will be used on the pc and I've got a Asus Xonar DX sound card so not sure if that's going to be a good replacement of using a external dac. For movie watching I'll use my ht receiver (Denon avr3313ci) will also use for gaming on the ps4 which goes through the receiver
There's soo many different headphone brands I have no idea where to start every set has ups and downs to them. As for a amp/dac
The Schiit stack (modi/magni), o2amp odac or something from Fiio seem pretty popular.
I live in Canada and will be ordering online, however if pricing is much cheaper in the USA that's an option as well.
Thanks in advance and look forward to learning more.

The Xonar DX is a fairly decent sound card and comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :)
So just adding a headphone amplifier (Schiit Magni or O2) should have you covered for the computer.
Even a FiiO E11K ($60) will do.

For plugging headphones into the receiver's jack, you would want higher impedance (250-Ohm, 300-Ohm) headphones.
Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990 or even an AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm).
Maybe Sennheiser HD600/HD650 (300-Ohm).

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 6

Pricing can often be cheaper in the US for headphones if you have a way to order and pick it up here. If you do, start looking for headphones here :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 6
  Been looking at Beyer T90, and Hifiman 400i&500. found them on Razordog for good price.
Would those be a step up from the couple choices purple angel suggested.

I would assume the Beyer T90 would offer improved clarity, over the DT770/DT880/DT990 (I own all three Beyers and the T70).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back