Looking to move up from ATH-m50! Budget $300-500 (or possibly more)
Sep 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DancetoExpress

Head-Fier
Hey all. As my title says, I'm looking for an upgrade from my trusty ATH-m50s. They're still holding up well, but I've begun wondering what else is out there. I love them for what they are, an entry-level pair that is fairly balanced, decent amount of bass, and I think it's portable. However, the clamping is something that slightly bothers me. I've been looking into switching earpads for comfort (as they get a little warm after a while). What I'm mainly looking for in another pair is an "improvement" in sound (soundstage perhaps?) and comfort. 

My budget is anywhere from $200-500 USD preferably, but I could be persuaded to go over. The sources I'll be using for listening to my music would mainly be my desktop computer and my iPod Classic. I've also been looking into getting a DAC/AMP such as the Fiio 10k for my ATH-m50 if I don't end up upgrading my headphones; would you guys recommend that particular one?

Now to get into what type of headphones I'm looking for... Isolation isn't a huge concern, as I'll mainly be listening to it at home or walking between classes. I guess medium isolation would be fine. I'm interested in open cans because I haven't heard any before. As for sound, I guess I'd be looking for something balanced, as I'm not sure where to go in terms of focusing on highs or lows just yet :\  In terms of what music I listen to, I listen to pretty much everything but recently it's been a whole lot of rock and EDM, with some pop and acoustic stuff thrown in from time to time.

From what I've researched, I've looked into the DT880 and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs.

Hopefully this is enough information for a recommendation! Thank you very much for your time.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hey all. As my title says, I'm looking for an upgrade from my trusty ATH-m50s. They're still holding up well, but I've begun wondering what else is out there. I love them for what they are, an entry-level pair that is fairly balanced, decent amount of bass, and I think it's portable. However, the clamping is something that slightly bothers me. I've been looking into switching earpads for comfort (as they get a little warm after a while). What I'm mainly looking for in another pair is an "improvement" in sound (soundstage perhaps?) and comfort. 

My budget is anywhere from $200-500 USD preferably, but I could be persuaded to go over. The sources I'll be using for listening to my music would mainly be my desktop computer and my iPod Classic. I've also been looking into getting a DAC/AMP such as the Fiio 10k for my ATH-m50 if I don't end up upgrading my headphones; would you guys recommend that particular one?

Now to get into what type of headphones I'm looking for... Isolation isn't a huge concern, as I'll mainly be listening to it at home or walking between classes. I guess medium isolation would be fine. I'm interested in open cans because I haven't heard any before. As for sound, I guess I'd be looking for something balanced, as I'm not sure where to go in terms of focusing on highs or lows just yet :\  In terms of what music I listen to, I listen to pretty much everything but recently it's been a whole lot of rock and EDM, with some pop and acoustic stuff thrown in from time to time.

From what I've researched, I've looked into the DT880 and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs.

Hopefully this is enough information for a recommendation! Thank you very much for your time.

You might consider getting cheaper closed headphones for on the move (in public).
And getting open headphones for around the computer.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 5
[COLOR=000000]Hey all. As my title says, I'm looking for an upgrade from my trusty ATH-m50s. They're still holding up well, but I've begun wondering what else is out there. I love them for what they are, an entry-level pair that is fairly balanced, decent amount of bass, and I think it's portable. However, the clamping is something that slightly bothers me. I've been looking into switching earpads for comfort (as they get a little warm after a while). What I'm mainly looking for in another pair is an "improvement" in sound (soundstage perhaps?) and comfort. [/color]

[COLOR=000000]My budget [COLOR=000000]is anywhere from $200-500 USD preferably, but I could be persuaded to go over. [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]The sources I'll be using for listening to my music would mainly be my desktop computer and my iPod Classic. I've also been looking into getting a DAC/AMP such as the Fiio 10k for my ATH-m50 if I don't end up upgrading my headphones; would you guys recommend that particular one?[/COLOR][/color]

[COLOR=000000]Now to get into what type of headphones I'm looking for... Isolation isn't a huge concern, as I'll mainly be listening to it at home or walking between classes. I guess medium isolation would be fine. I'm interested in open cans because I haven't heard any before. As for sound, I guess I'd be looking for something balanced, as I'm not sure where to go in terms of focusing on highs or lows just yet :\  In terms of what music I listen to, I listen to pretty much everything but recently it's been a whole lot of rock and EDM, with some pop and acoustic stuff thrown in from time to time.
[/color]

[COLOR=000000]From what I've researched, I've looked into the DT880 and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs.[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Hopefully this is enough information for a recommendation! Thank you very much for your time.[/color]

I would consider the HE-400I, MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro, Sennheiser 650, Sennheiser 600, or Beyerdynamic Dt 880 600 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back