Looking to get a pair of sennheiser game zero
Jul 23, 2016 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PL4Y3R 0N3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. As the name of the post suggest I'm currently looking at the game zeros. I can't find much about them here on head-fi but I've seen pretty good reveiws. Mostly what I'm trying to find out is what the sound signature for them is and how they do with virtual surround sound.
I also wanted to see if there were any comparable CLOSED BACK HEADSETS because I'm going to be in a dorm room so I need sound isolation. I mostly play fps games but I'd like to be able to listen to music too. I also want to get into horror games (man that resident evil 7 demo) so something that's good with small details would be a plus.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello. As the name of the post suggest I'm currently looking at the game zeros. I can't find much about them here on head-fi but I've seen pretty good reveiws. Mostly what I'm trying to find out is what the sound signature for them is and how they do with virtual surround sound.
I also wanted to see if there were any comparable CLOSED BACK HEADSETS because I'm going to be in a dorm room so I need sound isolation. I mostly play fps games but I'd like to be able to listen to music too. I also want to get into horror games (man that resident evil 7 demo) so something that's good with small details would be a plus.

From what I was able to dig up on the G4me zeros when I looked into them a while back, they are basically more expensive HD 558/ 598 headphones with a boom mic attached. I believe you would be much better served to get the HD 598 for less, or a better headphone for the same price as the g4me zeros if that's where you'd prefer to focus your money. 

Virtual surround is really more of a gimmick than anything, a good pair of headphones and a good sound source (sound card or a true external DAC/ Amp) will make much more of a difference than any sort of witchcraft digital processing can. I got some Logitech G35s a long time ago thinking that the surround sound would be amazing, but after a few years I got some HD 595s and HD 280 Pros in high school and I basically never used the G35s again. Even though they're stereo, I could almost always pinpoint the location of sounds and players with them.

The HD 280 Pros are a closed back headphone and their isolation is great. Heck, I've even brought them hunting and shooting and they worked well! The downside is that they can be a little fatiguing due to how hard the cups press on the side of your head. I can adjust that to almost nothing, but even then I'll usually feel it after a while. I have heard their successor, the HD 380 Pro once, and I think they do sound a bit better and cleaner, ESPECIALLY out of a non-amplified source like a computer which is what I compared them on. The 280s really need an amp to sound their best honestly. They may sound good on some computers, but once you give them a proper amp the sound is like night and day and they're almost as enjoyable as the HD 595s granted they have a very different sound and smaller soundstage. So, of the two I'd probably pick the 380 Pro if you don't have an amp handy and you want to save as much money as possible, but I've never heard the 380 Pro amped, so they might be worlds better than the 280s then too.

If you're in a quiet, dark room, either one of those two can give you the heebie jeebies playing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro. Sometimes voices and sounds sound like they're not in the game and there's actually someone standing next to you, or even behind you if you're unlucky 
wink.gif
  I also have some IE80s that achieve much of the same effect, but I'm assuming you're looking for full headphones? 

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 4
From what I was able to dig up on the G4me zeros when I looked into them a while back, they are basically more expensive HD 558/ 598 headphones with a boom mic attached. I believe you would be much better served to get the HD 598 for less, or a better headphone for the same price as the g4me zeros if that's where you'd prefer to focus your money. 

Virtual surround is really more of a gimmick than anything, a good pair of headphones and a good sound source (sound card or a true external DAC/ Amp) will make much more of a difference than any sort of witchcraft digital processing can. I got some Logitech G35s a long time ago thinking that the surround sound would be amazing, but after a few years I got some HD 595s and HD 280 Pros in high school and I basically never used the G35s again. Even though they're stereo, I could almost always pinpoint the location of sounds and players with them.

The HD 280 Pros are a closed back headphone and their isolation is great. Heck, I've even brought them hunting and shooting and they worked well! The downside is that they can be a little fatiguing due to how hard the cups press on the side of your head. I can adjust that to almost nothing, but even then I'll usually feel it after a while. I have heard their successor, the HD 380 Pro once, and I think they do sound a bit better and cleaner, ESPECIALLY out of a non-amplified source like a computer which is what I compared them on. The 280s really need an amp to sound their best honestly. They may sound good on some computers, but once you give them a proper amp the sound is like night and day and they're almost as enjoyable as the HD 595s granted they have a very different sound and smaller soundstage. So, of the two I'd probably pick the 380 Pro if you don't have an amp handy and you want to save as much money as possible, but I've never heard the 380 Pro amped, so they might be worlds better than the 280s then too.

If you're in a quiet, dark room, either one of those two can give you the heebie jeebies playing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro. Sometimes voices and sounds sound like they're not in the game and there's actually someone standing next to you, or even behind you if you're unlucky :wink:   I also have some IE80s that achieve much of the same effect, but I'm assuming you're looking for full headphones? 

Wow. I had considered this thread dead, recorded the time, buried it, mourned its loss, and forgotten about it. Thanks for reviving it though! I am still considering the game zero, but I also have looked into the audio technica ATH-a900x as it looks like it would be good for music and gaming, and it seems like something I could also use anywhere as opposed to just with my laptop.
Haven't looked into getting actual sennheiser cans, but that was more because I didn't think they had any closed back cans other than the momentum and urbanites.
Seriously though, how did you find my old, dead, buried thread?

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 4
I was just browsing through the gaming forum section one night looking for anything of interest/ that I could chip in on basically :p   but I can't give you any real feedback on audio technica, I've honestly never used any of their cans yet! I like the company and hope to get some eventually, I just haven't had the need after getting my Senns and money is tight as a university student! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back