Looking to Buy My First Nice Set of Headphones
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aderum

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, 

I'm looking to buy my first pair of headphones. Previously all I have had for headphones was the Apple earpods supplied with my phone. I primarily listen to country and rock. My budget is up to $150. I will use these mostly with my iPhone and connected to my PC's audio card. I prefer over ear for the isolation even though they are bulky for mobile use. I hope this is enough information to go off as I know nothing about audio. I guess everyone has to start somewhere!

Thanks,
Aderum 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 8
The usual suspects are the ATH-M50X (a little over your budget), Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Sony V6, Creative Aurvana Live!, NVX XPT100, Takstar Pro 80 and Brainwavz HM5.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, Focus has been running that deal since Black Friday. That's a very good deal on a very smooth sounding headphone.

$150 - $200 seems to be a tough price point for headphones. The next significant step seems to jump all the way to $250-$300, where you find the normal price of the over ear Momentum, Mr. Speakers Mad Dog, NAD Viso HP50 & Beyer DT770. If you are patient, there can be good deals on $300 headphones that get discounted down to $200 - it's not common, but it's not rare either.

For example, in addition to the Momemtums at Focus, there is this deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-80-ohms/dp/B0016MNAAI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back