Looking in the $500+ range and I've really liked the Bowers & Wilkins P7 and Sennheiser HD8
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FunkMasterFey

New Head-Fier
Long time voyeur, first time poster here. Love the site! Anyhoo, as my obsession with all things audiophile increases, I'm finding myself having a hard time locating the next level of headphones. I'm hoping one of the true gurus here might be able to point me in the right direction after reading about my likes/dislikes of several models.

Bowers & Wilkins P7
PROS:

-THE LOOKS!
-Closed backs for sound isolation and minimal bleed
-Deep cups for my dumbo ears
-Nice punchy bass without killing the mids and highs
-Very mobile - I don't listen much at home so I'm taking my phones back and forth all over the place

CONS:

-Case is honestly a joke in my opinion. Never used it.
-Genuine leather could make sweating an issue during long sessions

Sennheiser HD8 DJ

PROS:

-Really, the same likes as the B&W P7s 
-Great case. **P7 case was a joke IMHO
-Great punchy bass
-INCREDIBLE sound isolation. I can blast these suckers and nearly zero sound bleeds

CONS:

-Cables are ridiculously long for portable use and there are rare to no good upgrade cables that fit 
-Because I port these around so much, it can get annoying to go through the full 3 clicks on each side to get them ready to go back in the case. I also worry that the hinges might eventually wear out when used this frequently.
-Seems to be missing something my layman ears can't yet clearly define in the mids

DIDN'T LIKE

Vmoda M100 Crossfade

PROS:

-Really light
-Sexy looks
-Crazy bass for Dubstep
-Great fold-up mechanism
-Great case for the cans

CONS:

-Bass is great at the expense of the rest of the frequencies
-Cups TORTURED my ears after 10-15 minutes
-Case is CRAP for the cables and certainly won't allow the addition of a headphone amp

Sennheiser Momentum

PROS:

-Couldn't get to any pros because the cups + grip executed my ears after just a couple minutes.

Fostex TH600

PROS:

-PERFECT SOUND
-Can be driven by almost anything
-Cups don't kill my head flaps (ears)

CONS:

-Permanently attached cables (SUCH A SHAME!)
-"Carrying Case" is an utter embarrassment. Flimsy cardboard box with ill-fitted cheap foam. I still do a face-palm when I see the case they send with these $700 cans.
-Cable is SUPER LONG, thick, and sheathed in a grippy fabric-type material that feels like it will start to fuzz and fray quickly
-Deep cups, but they're really wide which makes getting a good seal very difficult.

After analyzing my own likes and dislikes, I'm leaning toward the Sennheiser HD 800, but honestly, it's about $600 more than I want to spend and I worry about the sound leakage... Any other recommendations from those in the know?

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, it depends on your gear, HD800 are quite picky with its amp/dac, not to mention the sound leakage with its very open design.

If i were given a choice i'd pick the P7, Sweating and a case isn't an issue for me :) as long as the sound delivers.

Good day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back