Looking for Warm Headphones with a Certain Sound Signature
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chris Kelly

New Head-Fier
I thought the scientificly/technically correct thing to do is to choose a pair of headphones with the most neutral sound curve and get over anything which sounds unnatural such as speech which sounds over-exposed and airy, like I've been with my Sennheiser HD 560S (late 2022 version). While I wouldn't replace my HD 560S with the HD 490 PRO because (1) it would be less expensive just to add a warmer sounding pair, and (2) constantly swapping earpads could risk extra wear and tear, the fact that the HD 490 PRO includes producer pads and mixing pads suggests to me that it's perfectly OK to have different sound curves according to application, mood, source-specific preference, etc.. If I didn't have a pair of Sennheiser headphones, the HD 490 PRO would have been a good choice because of tonal flexibility. However, in my case, I think it would make more sense just to add another pair. I DON'T like the boosted low-mids of the HD 559, boosted treble of the HD 599, nor boosted low-mids and boosted treble of the HD 599SE. I am looking for something with the boosted high-bass and reduced treble of the HD 559, and boosted high-bass and natural low-mids of the HD 599. Is there anything by Behr Dynamic, Hifiman, Pioneer, Philips, Yamaha, even Sennheiser, or anyone else with these characteristics?

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 6
If I'm following what you wrote, the SASH Tres 45ohm might be what you're looking for.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Can there really be any other than one of the 6 series for your needs?

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 6
The Philips aren't available from Amazon. So assuming they're discontinued, that rules them out regardless of low-mids and treble. The Beyer Dynamics have increased treble according to Rtings. I tried the HD 600 during Amazon's three-month holiday return policy. The only differences I noticed between them and my current 560S is the HD 600's low bass doesn't go as low, they aren't as loud at the same volume level, and a suttle boost in treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back