Looking for the right IEM -> Need your help
Jan 25, 2008 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ALLSPARK

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I like your forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to all genres of Rock & Metal.

Metal -> Death, Black, Thrash, Power, Progressive, Doom, Symphonic, etc.

Rock -> Hard, Soft, Classic, etc.

Here are the IEMs I've chosen (hopefully they are the right ones).

-> Shure SE210

-> Westone UM1

-> Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro

The price ceiling is 200 $.

If you mean that there are pontential alternatives - please post.

Thanky you very much.

SYL,

ALLSPARK

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 15
he's listening to metal and rock, and the q-jays are light in bass compared to the super fi 5 pro, so I'll go to the Ultimate Ears.
You could find them for 150 $ on ebay, or less in the states...

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 15
I think that a "good" bass is very important for many kinds of metal like Thrash, Death or Black.

The super.fi 5 Pro are an option.

What do you think about the UM1 or the SE210.

P.S.: If I hab more money I would take the Westone UM2. But I got a 200 $-budget at the moment.

Thanks

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 15
According to the opinions from some users the UM1 doesn't have enough bass for metal.
Generally Shure shall sound neutral therefor boring.

After reading the hole forum about IEMs for Metal & Rock I mean that the super.fi 5 Pro are the best IEM for under 200 $.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd recommend the Super.fi 5 Pro's, since they're pretty consistent, and provide a decent soundstage compared other IEMs in its price range. However, the Atrios M5 has an even larger soundstage, but feels less sturdy in terms of build.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the Denon AH-C700 and the Atrio M5.

The atrio M5 are known to be a bit boombox, if I can say, and they have only one driver.
biggrin.gif

The Super fi lokks to be the best choice.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 15
UE Super.fi 5 Pros easily leave both Westone UM1 and Shure SE210 behind in terms of SQ, since the former is a mid-level IEM and the latter are only single-driver, entry-level IEMs. However, compared to other mid-level IEMs in the same price range, UE Super.fi 5s are not all that great anymore IMO. Not only do they have an awkward construction that makes it tricky to get a good seal in your ears, but they also seriously lack detail in the mid and high frequencies, which makes them sound annoyingly blurry IMO. That is compared to other, newer mid-fi IEM offerings, like the Denon AH-C700 and Q-jays. Denon AH-C700 have same good bass (if not better) but more detail than SF 5 Pros, while Q-jays do not have as much bass, but are way more detailed than Super.fi and can be EQed easily to have more than enough oomph in the low end to satisfy most.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 15
The treble on SF5 Pro is sufficient for me. I find that it is a perfect mix of bass and treble although the midrange is not quite as prominent as Shures. Overall, for rock and metal, I think that the SF5 Pro would be the best bet provided that you are able to get a good seal.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The atrio M5 are known to be a bit boombox, if I can say, and they have only one driver.
biggrin.gif

The Super fi lokks to be the best choice.

Actually, Super.fi 5s are a bit boomy too. Especially when connected to a warm source, the lows on Super.fi can really get out of control IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back