Looking for some help from the Ultrasone crowd
Sep 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dmort

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I own a pair of AKG k601 which I really enjoy... But, I'm looking to try something new. I use a gilmore lite and a emotiva xda-1, paired with either my oppo dv970hd or my computer.

I think I'm going to spring for a pair of Ultrasone pro 2900s. I've read through the threads and they "sound" like a great match for me. But, I've also heard a lot of people say you've got to try S-Logic first and see if you like it.

As it happens, I'm also in the market for a closed pair of headphones to replace my esw9s and my JVC HA s500s. Can anyone suggest a pair of closed ultrasones, that won't break the bank, that will give me a decent introduction to S-Logic? I don't expect them to sound like the pro 2900s, just to clue me. I'm happy to buy used, planning to spend around $150.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 3
In my experience, open-back S-Logic and closed-back S-Logic are very different. I've tried 2 closed-back Ultrasones, the HFI-780 and the Edition 8. Both had such screeching highs (and I thought I liked treble) that I couldn't bear.

On the other hand, I loved the sound of the HFI-2400 (very similar to the Pro-2900 in design).

Look around for used, since Ultrasones are so pricey. eBay seems to have some cheap Pro650's for sale.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, there is no cheap open Ultrasone is there... I guess I was wondering if I can get away with trying the 450 or should I step up to the 580 or a used 650 or something.

Can anyone remind me about the correlation between the DJ1, the DJ1 Pro and the hifi series? Aren't there hifi headphones that match those DJ drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back