Looking for set of cans for $250 MAX
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Najarino

New Head-Fier
At the moment, I have been looking at DT990, 990 pro, 880, and Q701. The reason I am uneasy is the appearance of common problems with each. "No mids" on the beyer's and "No bass" on the AKG's. Could anyone provide some insight to this, and possibly make a recommendation at a similar price point?

Preferences: Open, Bassy (If possible)

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 4
If you're looking for bass, I would go with the Dt770's at 80 Ohms.
Otherwise, you could try and go with the Denon D2000's but it'd be hard to get them around $250 even used.

Hmm, or try the Phillips Fidellio X1.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hmm, or try the Phillips Fidellio X1.

+1

DT990 Pro if you like bright and very detailed treble (these headphone will shine with most audiophile recordings)

Fidelio X1 if you prefer dark treble and a much more forgiving presentation.

If you are looking for a bassy headphone then DT880s are not a great choice, and AKGs are an even worse option, unless you're planning to mod them.

DT990 Pro would benefit from some extra amplification. Fidelio X1 are easier to drive, but an amp with low output impedance is needed to get their full potential. So, both would benefit from an external amp.

If you are not planning to buy an amp, and you like listening to music at average/high volume then Fidelios are probably the wiser pick.

Best Luck!

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 4
  At the moment, I have been looking at DT990, 990 pro, 880, and Q701. The reason I am uneasy is the appearance of common problems with each. "No mids" on the beyer's and "No bass" on the AKG's. Could anyone provide some insight to this, and possibly make a recommendation at a similar price point?

Preferences: Open, Bassy (If possible)

have you heard any of them?

if you are looking for bassy open headphones, I think the HE-400 or HE-400is or beyers would be solid options. I would stay away from the q701. phillips x1 I think is another often-recommended choice with that kind of preference, though I haven't heard them and I think there is a new x2 version out.

If you like the akg sound, you can consider the massdrop version of the 702 anniversary model at $200 (called AKG 7xx) and it will be bassier than the q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back