looking for recommendations in 2023 for HD 800s amp/dac
Aug 14, 2023 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

catoplato

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I'm currently using a valhalla 2 and bimby. My bimby's USB recently broke (toslink still works) so now I'm considering options for upgrading.

I've been looking at the yggy and bifrost 2/64, but I realize I don't only need to look at Schiit. What's the recommended stack nowadays? Should I keep my bimby with toslink and upgrade my amp first?

I listen to classical and rock from a PC. I also use my HD 800s to game.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 3
I've had the HD800S a few times and tried a bunch. The Monoprice Liquid Platinum with stock tubes and matching DAC was really good. Now I use the Topping A30Pro and E50 DAC. It's my end game combo unless I luck out and find an D30Pro at a good price which they discontinued. Mainly since this pair will power IEM's with a silent noise floor as well as the heavy hitters like the HE6SE which I get from time to time. The most fun gaming was the HD800s with a Soundblaster AE-9 which supports opamp swapping too. They always seemed more consistently powered with balanced to handle the voltage swings though, unless you're determined to stick with the tube sound. I still remember switching back from the Liquid Platinum stack to a THX amp, and it sounded like something was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back