Looking for Planar Magnetics that are not front sealed
Jun 27, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 21
I think I can confirm a similar experience with Arya Stealth. Listening to bass tones of various frequencies, the lower end is boosted slightly when pulling the cups away from my ear just enough to make an air gap.
OK, but how do you achieve it without permanenty holding Arya cups in your hands? When I try it, cups always stick around my ears, due to swivel. Maybe I can try listening to Arya with glasses on...

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 21
OK, but how do you achieve it without permanenty holding Arya cups in your hands? When I try it, cups always stick around my ears, due to swivel. Maybe I can try listening to Arya with glasses on...
I mentioned in the thread above that I'm going to mod my earcups with a port. We'll see how it goes!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 21
I head back from Hifiman. They said all of their planar headphones are front sealed, and none of them have bass ports. So I had bad information from someone about the Sundara perhaps in part. I think the earcups of the Sundara simply don't seal well. But apparently it was built to theoretically be sealed.
That was probably me, sorry! I've never seen a linear bass response from them, nor did I have the pressure issue from them so just assumed.
Must just have a worse seal in almost all seatings.

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 21
That was probably me, sorry! I've never seen a linear bass response from them, nor did I have the pressure issue from them so just assumed.
Must just have a worse seal in almost all seatings.
The funny part is. I think that lack of seal is what is making the Sundara's sound so popular. They have this open and airy quality. It's the same enjoyable quality I get with the Arya Stealth when I prop them open with some bass ports. So, happy accident maybe?

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 21
Because I don't like change. IIABDFI (If it ain't broke, don't fix it)

Turn the headamp on high power mode, turn off auto-ref, and there is probably some other stuff but I haven't tweaked mine since I set it up. And now that there a bunch of new options, I guess it got more complicated.

Sounds like a plan :)

From this list I think you would be in very good shape using it as an all-in-one. But remember, it's gonna slide all over your desk. PITA!

And it has special circuitry for IEMs.

I asked about that and the answer was no. NO! I don't remember if it was impossible (I think so) or because Mathias doesn't see the need for it.

I find it unintelligble that they have all kinds of light control options when it's on, but none when it's off. I often forget mine is powered on because there is no light. When you turn it off, it lights up.

Yeaaah...
Got the ADI-2FS today. Absolutely love it.

It had auto-ref off by default. Probably new defaults. But I did need to turn high-power on. Absolutely love the bass and treble controls that allow you to set their default corner frequency and Q. That eliminates a huge portion of my EQ needs right there as I like minimal EQ. It feels like it pairs with the D9200 perfectly. Arya Stealth sounds wonderful on it too.

Still waiting on parts to port the Arya pads as the ones I got were the wrong size. Hoping I can get that sorted in the next few days.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 21
@gimmeheadroom @tesarpa

Finally made some ported Arya Stealth Dekoni hybrid pads. They work at relieving the discomfort of bass pressure at the eardrum.

The opening is about 3/16" with the outer tube diameter at 1/4". I located them behind the earlobe where they are least likely to be seen or felt and won't be obstructed while laying back on a pillow.

At 15hz-30hz there is very slightly stronger bass with the port open. Above that I can't hear a difference in the bass. Tested using constant bass test signals. The difference is there but quite faint. Doing open and closed testing by blocking the ports with my finger and listening to a wide variety of music, there is no other audible change in sound, aside from them feeling much more comfortable without the annoying pressure on my inner eardrum. I can't feel the tube in the foam. It feels the same as it normally did.

I'd be curious to see how this affects their curve. If it's good, I'd love to see Hifiman port the Arya from the factory in a professional way for V4. There's really no downside that I can perceive. A little stronger bass extension and added comfort. I sent them my experience in an email.

For the first time. I've been able to listen to my Arya Stealth for hours on end without issue. Usually, I'd get 20 min and need a break if listening to bass heavy tracks. At the volumes I listen to normally this seems to have fixed it.

If I turn the volume up on some ultra bass heavy tracks the pressure is slightly detectable, but this has alleviated about 90% of it. This tells me that the port is small enough to be at the threshold of still providing some air resistance. I don't listen at those kind of volumes anyway. Still, out of curiosity, I may try a revision with some 3d printed parts with a wider diameter port. I don't 3d print or model, so I have some learning to do.

Placing instructions below the picture in case anyone else wants to try this.

PXL_20220702_002801047.jpg

Parts needed:

Hammer, Krazy glue, scissors, and a small file
1/4" leather hole punch - https://a.co/d/1Ds5go8
3/8" plastic tube https://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-Tube-Support-Polypropylene-2ZTE8 (buy a bunch, I got 10 which covered some screw ups). Note that while the description on the product is 3/8", that is the size of tube this is meant to be placed in. The actual outer diameter of this part is 1/4." Don't buy the 1/4" ones. I made that mistake and they are only 1/8" in diameter.

Instructions:
  1. Compress the foam and punch a 1/4" hole through the pad after carefully measuring where you want your port. I recommend having the tube between where the snap on clips are so you can press on the pads without messing with the tube. The foam will come out cleanly with hole through the leather and foam. I placed my holes near the face pad due to the plastic ring attached to the pads. I was worried about tearing it so I played it safe. You might be able to achieve a better looking result. NGL this part is tricky.

2. Insert a tube and note it does not go all the way through, you'll need to cut a very short end from one of the other tubes to make the closure with superglue. I used scissors and a file to clean up, but you could use a Dremel saw as well. Test the fit until you have an appropriate length. You don't want them snug. Just enough that they do not pull the leather inward. This is because when there is pressure applied to the pad they expand. You can see this happening in the photo above as they recess a little when the pads expand.

3. Superglue the uncut long and short stubby piece together (not while in the headphone pads) to make a flanged barbell. You can then gently stretch this through the leather later. Using a file to rough up the end of the long piece can help it stick best with the Krazy glue.

4. Snap your pads into your headphone without the barbell in place.

5. Slide the barbell into place tucking the leather under each flange. The leather will stretch slightly and move back into place. Doing this after snapping the pads in just makes life easier.

6. Optional. Carefully add a little superglue between the pad and the tube to permanently keep it from sliding around when the pads expand. Krazy glue will stick to both the plastic and the foam.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back