Looking for no frills affordable qualty portable flac & mp3 player
Oct 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 7
The Fiio X1 is a very good lossless audio player. While there are plenty of good cheap audio players, if you want to play FLAC files, then things get a little more expensive. The X1 supports most audio formats, comes with enough space to store a reasonable amount of .FLAC files. It goes for about 100$. This is probably going to be your best bet for 100$. Also, while personally I'm not a fan of it (not enough space for .FLAC libraries IMO) the Pono Player is an option as well (once it finally comes out), although it's gotten mixed reviews.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 7
One more vote on the Fiio X1. For the money it seem like crazy value. Will get mine when my mother in law arrives from china next week :)

I do not think you would be dissapointed.

Regards

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Buy a Sandisk Clip+ and Rockbox it. Rockbox is a free alternative firmware(operating system)  which has many great features. 
The Clip+ has a micro card slot. A 4GB Clip+ is $35 on Amazon. It has great sound quality. The Clip Zip is a bit better than the Clip+
when Rockbox is installed, as the Clip Zip has a larger screen. Avoid the Clip Sport though as it is very limited in functionality. The Clip Zip
without Rockbox is annoying though, as not enough song information is displayed. The Clip+ is okay without Rockbox, but much better with it.
I have the Clip+, Clip Zip, and Clip Sport. My Clip+ and Clip Zip are Rockboxed. There is no Rockbox available for the Clip Sport.
My main complaint about the Clip+ and Clip zip with Rockbox installed is that battery life is only around 15 hours. Some who need more
battery life carry two of them, or the player and a usb battery pack.

The Fiio X1 has battery life that is probably less than that of a Rockboxed Clip+ or Clip Zip. the X1 though has a much higher power output, which can power less efficient headphones. If you are using relatively efficient earphones or headphones though, the Clip+ or Clip Zip will work quite well.
The Clip+ and Clip Zip are tiny, lightweight, and have a built in clip, so you can clip the player to your shirt. The X1 is much larger and much heavier.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 7
iBasso DX50  around $200 plays most formats, long battery 12+ hrs, 8gig internal and micro for larger memory.  Plenty of power, has phone out, line out and digital out.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I find it amusing that some people call 12 hours  long battery life, while I consider 15 hours, or even 25 hours to be short battery life.

I also find it amusing that some consider a $200 player, or perhaps even a $500 one to be no frills and affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back