looking for new music...
Apr 3, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Guy Clark's 'Randel Knife' is one of the greatest songs/poems ever!

Apr 3, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 11
The following albums are in heavy rotation at the moment..........

Sleepy Little Sailor by Oh Susanna

A Nod To Bob: An Artists Tribute To Bob Dylan On His Sixtieth
Birthday - Various Artists on Red House Records

My Shirt Looks Good On You - Katie Curtis
Under Cold Blue Stars - Josh Rouse
Hot Rail - Calexico
Is A Woman - Lambchop
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young
Essence - Lucinda Williams
Real Day - Alice Peacock
Slightly Haunted - Lynn Miles
Every Single Day - Lucy Kaplansky

In Spite Of Ourselves by John Prine is a great album. Perhaps you're already listening to that one. 16 tracks of duets on country classics - Iris DeMent appears quite frequently on this one.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Give "Music for the Morning After" by Pete Yorn a listen. Everyone I've recommended it to has really liked it.

Apr 6, 2002 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
Give "Music for the Morning After" by Pete Yorn a listen. Everyone I've recommended it to has really liked it.

Got this yesterday. A little Lo-Fi perhaps but good songwriting and eminently listenable.

Just one small peeve. What did he do to the opening track? Sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom in the 1930's.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by secretagent44
For a newer artist, perhaps Ryan Adams

Is that the guy who did that "New York" song? I never could stomach that one...seemed far too much to me like cashing in on the death of thousands. Watch the music video and you will know what I am talking about.

Apr 9, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by KeVlaR
Just one small peeve. What did he do to the opening track? Sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom in the 1930's.

LOL, only the beginning... he was trying to make it sound like a old turntable, static and all. Great album, though.

Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Is that the guy who did that "New York" song? I never could stomach that one...seemed far too much to me like cashing in on the death of thousands. Watch the music video and you will know what I am talking about.

That's Bryan Adams, the 80s pop star.

Apr 9, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis

Well, I know what you mean, but the video was shot on Sept. 7th, the song was written long before then, it's a song about a girl, and he's too good to just dismiss based on that. That record ("Gold") isn't his best anyways, go for his first solo effort "Heartbreaker" or "Stranger's Almanac" by his old band Whiskeytown. I haven't heard "Pneumonia" but it's supposed to be fantastic as well. I too cringed a little bit when i saw the video, but like I said he's too good to not give him a shot.

Apr 13, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
That's Bryan Adams, the 80s pop star.

Hate to nitpick but.............

It was Ryan Adams (ex-Whiskeytown) who recorded that song.
The track "New York, New York" was off his latest album GOLD that was released on the Lost Highway label.

Been a big fan of Ryan Adams since Strangers Almanac came out a few years ago. I just wish his profile was a little higher here in the UK. He never, but never gets played on the radio over here.
mad.gif

Bryan Adams is the Canadian wuss who everybody just loves to hate
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening to Catie Curtis - My Shirt Looks Good On You
playing on Krell MD10/Studio Dac thru Stax Lamda Nova 'Phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back