looking for loud 150$ headphones
Dec 17, 2014 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Raghav J

New Head-Fier
before anyone asks me to search the already existing threads, i already have. ive spent almost a week looking for the perfect recommendation and have not found any.
i need full sized over the ear headphones with a slightly portable form factor. comfort is the most important design factor. then portability and durability. ill be using these while studying and hence want them to be loud. but also there should be a certain level of noise isolation. i'll be listening to a bit of rock, progressive house, and pop. ill be using my phone (nexus 5) as the source and at times my laptop.
my budget is 10k INR which translates to 150$ (US). 
if my phone is too bad of a source do recommend an amp (portable) within an extra 50$ (i'll be buying that later)
i dont want a lot of bass. i currently use sennheiser hd 429 and i think there sound quality is impressive but arent nearly loud enough also bad noise isolation. but they are quite comfortable.

PS: i'll be buying online. so if it's not much of a hassle please make sure that it is under my budget on one of the following sites. it'd be appreciated. thanks

www.snapdeal.com
www.flipkart.com
www.amazon.in
www.junglee.com

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I think in-ear monitors (IEMs) provide much better isolation than over-ear headphones. Better isolation means the sound will seem to be louder because the ambient noise is lower. IEMs also tend to be more efficient than headphones and will work better from low-power sources. You could also try something like a Fiio E6 amp with your current headphones.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 7
I think in-ear monitors (IEMs) provide much better isolation than over-ear headphones. Better isolation means the sound will seem to be louder because the ambient noise is lower. IEMs also tend to be more efficient than headphones and will work better from low-power sources. You could also try something like a Fiio E6 amp with your current headphones.

i already have IEM's (Audio Technica ATH-CK323M) but i feel they are not comfortable enough. im willing to upgrade from the hd 429 not just because of loudness but also for better sound experience. 

im confused between sennheiser hd 558 and audio technica ath m50x. if there is not ,uch of a difference in sound quality i would go for the m50x as the design is much better suited for my needs

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 7
i always recommend the UE6000 for budget headphones but they are fairly heavy on bass.  they are comfortable and have good passive isolation.  they have noise cancelling but it's more of an amp/volume boost than active noise cancelling.  with the noise cancelling off, they sound pretty neutral and with noise cancelling on, bass, treble, and overall volume are increased.  they do take 3 x AAA batteries tho, but run in passive mode without batteries. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 7
  i always recommend the UE6000 for budget headphones but they are fairly heavy on bass.  they are comfortable and have good passive isolation.  they have noise cancelling but it's more of an amp/volume boost than active noise cancelling.  with the noise cancelling off, they sound pretty neutral and with noise cancelling on, bass, treble, and overall volume are increased.  they do take 3 x AAA batteries tho, but run in passive mode without batteries. 

do you recommend them OVER ath m50x? so far every review comparison etc, has put the audio technica's on the top. in fact i was just going to buy em within the next couple of hours. after watching the review im still more inclined towards m50x bc it is more portable. is the soud quality of ue6000 significantly better?

and also are the m50x louder than hd 429. i really need loud music to keep me from getting distracted. i find hd 429 perfect for movies but not good enough for music.

so i gues ive made my needs pretty clear. in the end i seem to have the following options

ath m50x            HD558                  UE6000               ATH A700x

which is the best of em?

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 7
i can not compare them myself as i have not heard the ath m50x or the others you mention,  but the m50's were one of the cans on my list when i bought the UE6000.  if i recall correctly, i think the UE6000 knocked the m50's off of tyle's wall of fame.  also, one of the deciding factors was that the UE6000 were about half the price of the m50's.

as far as portability, i'd say the ue6000 are fairly portable. 

i dont think you'll go wrong with either the ue6000 or m50x though.  they are both very well regarded as good headphones for their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back