Looking for IEM - Etymotic with more Bass
Oct 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #31 of 44
^ I would suggest backing down the 4K and plus regions, and the ER4 won't sound quite as bright or thin.  And assuming the max'd out 32 & 64 Hz are not distorting the bass.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #32 of 44
No the bass is not distorted.

I played a bit with the 4K and I moved the notch all the way and like that even more. Weird.

But what I am wondering is if there are any IEMs that have that sound signature.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
So basically what I am reading is that the Sony EX1000 is not going to be a step up towards audio nirvana compared to the Etymotic 4P + Zo?

Quote:
No the bass is not distorted.

I played a bit with the 4K and I moved the notch all the way and like that even more. Weird.

But what I am wondering is if there are any IEMs that have that sound signature.

That EQ looks like the JVC FXC51/71 to me, you can find the 71 on ebay.

Come on guys, he wants an Etymotic ER-4 with moar bass and a sound that will bring tears to his eyes, none of the suggestions seem to fit that bill.

For one, the EX600 is way too neutral to ever bring tears to anyones eyes, it's more an "admiration of neutrality, depth and clarity", with more focus on neutrality, it's a little bit digital sounding up top, cymbals sound synthetic "tschhh", not realistic.

The EX1000 will only bring tears to your eyes if you're some kind of jazz addict, otherwise it's not an upgrade to the EX600, just because "1000" is tacked on the end doesn't mean it automatically has a gloria halo and 1000 wild horses can't tame it's bass, it's a nice pony but I don't think it will suit garagerock with basshunter. 

With custom IEM's, I think average_joe's rec. on the Thousand Sound TS842 seems to be correct, since it really is an ER-4 (driver) with extra dynamic bass, and a custom at that.

UM Mage comes to mind as well.

The new Sony XBA series seem to have high potential.

The RE272 has high quality aenemic bass, it's like if you're starving and then you're severd the worlds best double chocolate fudge X3... in a teacup.

Looking at your graph alfalfazone, I think you should start with the FXC71 and then save up for a custom IEM with ER-4 clarity/extension in the highs along with reverberant bass.

From the UM lineup, I thought only the Mage and Miracle can rival the ER-4S highs.

For what it's worth, I think the ER-4 is almost in a class of it's own in the highs, but it's quite overrated as far as the uninvolving mids and visceral, dissected bass are concerned.

Furthermore IEM's like the UE700 and CK10 floor it in imaging and seperation, the ER-4 is a "whirlwind of detail" coming from a distinct source, it can't place the sounds seperately in their own sectors, it's just a jack-in-the-box of high-fidelity.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #35 of 44
I would say the Earsonics SM3 with Shure single flange tips. It kinda sounds like a TF10-UM3X-ER4 hybrid to me, and I definitely don't regret selling my ER-4s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #36 of 44
I am on the same boat with OP, I own B2 but I wish it has more bass.

I know I am also in the process of 'liking' my newly purchased GR07, which has totally different highs and mids.

I might just give this Zo a go, or save money and get UM Merlin? they are about to have a worldwide launch special.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 44
Actually, the TF10 are probably what you're looking for. Slightly cold, hugely detailed, and fat, fat bass. Bass so fat that it takes its insecurities out on the mids. And about as comfortable as putting a cactus in your ear. But other than that, they do sound fantastic.

Quote:
How's SONY MDREX600 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi10?

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 44
Hey guys,

I just wanted to chime in here on this thread.  I have the Etymotic HF3 (I have an iPhone 4s) set and loved the way the sound - except the bass.  It was just lacking a bit of punch to it.  I thought about getting another pair that would fix my need for the same clarity with some bass.  I have found the solution and it only cost me $3.

Fix #1 was to try the other tips that came with the Etymotics.  I was using the 3 flange tips that come already installed.  I was having a problem where one ear always sounded less than the other.  Turned out my right ear canal is slightly larger than the left.  I guess I'm a mutant.  lol  Anyways, I think the mushroomed foam tips seemed to fix that problem.  

Next was the bass.  All I needed was a little help in the bass department.  I had looked at EQ apps in the past and they all had their own music player and were really poorly done so I was stuck with the stock player that comes with the iPhone.  Then I started reading some reviews on EQ apps.  Two apps came up.  EQu and Denon Audio.  All I did was lift the bass up on the EQ and I had satisfied my bass problem.  I have to say that the EQu sounded better but I didn't like the player as much as I did the Denon app.  I bought both to try them out.  It was worth the $5 to figure out which I liked best.  Better than spending $100something to fix the need more bass problem.  I know that adding to an EQ is not correct, but it was correct when it came to $3 versus $100+ if you know what I mean.  I hope this helps someone out that has the Etymotic earphones.

-Allistah

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #42 of 44
If you are interested in customs then buy CustomArt Music One. They have similar sound signature to Etys but have more bass (i.e. more of the good bass - subbass and lower bass without midbass bump). They are less analytical due to longer note decay but they are not inferior in terms of accuracy and transparency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back