Looking for headphones around 200 USD--Ditching my in-ear-phones
Mar 6, 2008 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Insanity

New Head-Fier
I currently use a pair of 2 year old Shure E3C's. While they sound fairly good (but lacking meaningful bass), i recently broke the ends off of both sides and need a new set of headphones. I've never really bought a set of headphones, been using in-ear phones for a long time now.

I can spend around 200 USD, can go more if it is really worth it.

Will be listening to Trance, Metal, Death metal, some rock. I'll be using them on both a PC and a Zune. Looks are not as important, but i don't want to be hauling around massive DJ cans either. MUST be durable, i've had bad experiences in the past.

I've heard alot about the Denons, but, again, my knowledge of headphones is limited. It's the one aspect of home/consumer audio i've never gotten into before.

Any standout headphones for 200ish?

Edit-- I'm seriously looking into the AHD2000's. They seem to have great reviews and people say they do well with Trance. They are a bit over my budget, but if they are worth 300 USD, i'm willing to pay it. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 16
Those are supra's right? Will that be a problem on planes, the noise leaking out and all?

And how do those compare to the d2000's or dt-880's for general rock/techno music listening?

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 16
I find the HD-25-1 to be well-isolating, in fact just as effective at it as the Etymotic IEM that I use as well. They have a pretty aggressive sound signature (strong bass with plenty of treble attack). Not as neutral nor refined as something like the DT-880 but they bring excitement (and isolation) to the table, which suits your criteria.

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 16
I say give it a couple of days for people to respond.

The Ultrasone HD-780s are receiving good reviews right now. There are several other options out there as well.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 16
wow. After reading the entire HFI 780 thread, i must say i'm very impressed with what people are saying about them.

I think they may be my best bet for rock and the price is a bit better than the d2000's. I also really like that they are closed, since i will be primarily listening in a dorm room setting or on a plane. I was also thinking about picking up a little-dot micro portable amp for them as well. I can't really justify spending more than 60 usd on an amp at this time though (i'll have to empty my wallet on an amp at a later date
wink.gif
)

People keep talking about buying their 780's for 200 usd shipped. THe cheapest i've seen is 250 shipped from djdeals.com anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insanity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. After reading the entire HFI 780 thread, i must say i'm very impressed with what people are saying about them.

I think they may be my best bet for rock and the price is a bit better than the d2000's. I also really like that they are closed, since i will be primarily listening in a dorm room setting or on a plane. I was also thinking about picking up a little-dot micro portable amp for them as well. I can't really justify spending more than 60 usd on an amp at this time though (i'll have to empty my wallet on an amp at a later date
wink.gif
)

People keep talking about buying their 780's for 200 usd shipped. THe cheapest i've seen is 250 shipped from djdeals.com anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

RMC Audio. Headphones and In-Ear Monitors - RMC Audio - 877.222.7457

Click Get Price, and they will e-mail you their quote which is $199 free shipping no tax.

I love the 780's over the D2000's, and I have similar music tastes. The D2000's are too builky to take around especially on the plane, and the 780 isolates better. The D2000's are much too laid back for that kind of rock, and personally I don't think they have the fun factor for that kind of rock. HFI-780 fits a dollar under your budget! Even better!

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 16
ahh, sweet =) 200 shipped is beautiful

That leaves me with maybe 100 to get a portable amp (if it's even needed?). i realize i should spend more, but i simply cannot at this time.

Any suggestions for a portable that will fit the bill?

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insanity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh, sweet =) 200 shipped is beautiful

That leaves me with maybe 100 to get a portable amp (if it's even needed?). i realize i should spend more, but i simply cannot at this time.

Any suggestions for a portable that will fit the bill?

Don't worry about it for now. What are you going to be plugging them into? I think it's well worth it to wait a little bit till you have more saved up to buy something a little better than $100. Otherwise I would just stay without an amp. Just my 2 cents. If you want 3 I can give that to you too.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 16
Insanity you sound exactly like me. I wanted awesome headphones for gaming & music. I also have a x-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those two and for rock I think these will be awesome for you. These headphones are the up and coming best headphones for gaming. For music I absolutely love these they make everything sound fresh and new.

I also got them from RMC Audio. They pack these babies so well before they send them. Highly recommended.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Insanity you sound exactly like me. I wanted awesome headphones for gaming & music. I also have a x-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those two and for rock I think these will be awesome for you. These headphones are the up and coming best headphones for gaming. For music I absolutely love these they make everything sound fresh and new.

I also got them from RMC Audio. They pack these babies so well before they send them. Highly recommended.

...and we still do, as long we will finally get them from Ultrasone but thanks to Germany we don't have any
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back