Looking for gaming/music headphones!
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rajveer

New Head-Fier
7 years ago I posted asking for a recommendation for gaming/music headphones, and was recommended the Soundmagic HP200 which I absolutely loved!

They were great for gaming, the soundstage felt wide and positional audio was accurate. I felt the bass was on the lower end, but the mids and highs were crisp. Those headphones have sadly broken so I'm looking for an alternative now. Any recommendations? Don't mind going up to around the £350 mark but the lower the better.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Those HP200s have a strong bass/treble, you still looking for the same?
Or maybe go for planars?
Open or closed headphones?

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 11
I loved the sound so anything similar would be great. I felt the bass was a little weak so wouldn't mind something with a bit more (I wonder if my soundcard is the fault here), but loved how they sounded in general. If I could buy them again I would!

Open headphones like the HP200 would be good. Not too versed on planars, is there a reason to choose them over non-planars?

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 11
For double duty headphones you can't go wrong with:
Hifiman Ananda Stealth, I have a pair and you can EQ the bass in a music player and stock they're amazing for gaming.
Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X They really improved the DT990 with these, easy to power also. Comfortable after a week, the pads get softer and fit better after 20 hours of use.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 11
For FPS gaming, planars simply don't do positional cues as accurately as some dynamic headphones can.
If that's not a special requirement, then that opens the list up a bit.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 11
I’ve been looking for a double duty gaming headset as well and from my limited research, I would add the Sennheiser 560S to the list of options—decently wide soundstage and excellent imaging. It’s a reference headphone with a very detailed, flat presentation so you may need to EQ for bass. Seemingly great value for under 200 usd.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I loved the sound so anything similar would be great. I felt the bass was a little weak so wouldn't mind something with a bit more (I wonder if my soundcard is the fault here), but loved how they sounded in general. If I could buy them again I would!

Open headphones like the HP200 would be good. Not too versed on planars, is there a reason to choose them over non-planars?
Make and model of sound card?

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at the Hifiman Ananda Stealth, Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X and Sennheiser 560S. I was also looking at Hifiman Edition XS, however I do play FPS games so does that rules out planars in general?

My soundcard is an old X-fi Titanium which works well, but up for upgrading to something more recent if worth it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 11
7 years ago I posted asking for a recommendation for gaming/music headphones, and was recommended the Soundmagic HP200 which I absolutely loved!

They were great for gaming, the soundstage felt wide and positional audio was accurate. I felt the bass was on the lower end, but the mids and highs were crisp. Those headphones have sadly broken so I'm looking for an alternative now. Any recommendations? Don't mind going up to around the £350 mark but the lower the better.
beyerdynamic dt 900 pro or sennheiser pc38x are the best "gaming headsets" on the market rn imo.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Hifiman HE1000SE is the best headphone for gaming.

The imaging is the most precise I have ever heard and the soundstage is very open with great depth capabilities.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Hifiman HE1000SE is the best headphone for gaming.

The imaging is the most precise I have ever heard and the soundstage is very open with great depth capabilities.
ye man but notice how I typed "headsets"? meaning a headphone and mic combo? maybe in my 3 years of owning the he1000se I never noticed that they have a mic...
(I am reading this and this comes off toxic and I promise you it is not lol)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back