Looking for full size analytical phones $150 approx for listening to lossless classical & vocals
Sep 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier
I've read about Beyerdynamic phones, Audio Technica, Denon, and others.  Much prefer open or semi-open designs.  Hopefully street prices $150 or below ideally, maybe a bit more if that's what it takes.  Oh, used to have pair of Grado SR60i's.  Liked the sound but not the fit.  Might reconsider their phones again.  Will primarily be run off a NAD integrated amp as I use IEMs for my iPhone when out.

Ideas?

Oh, don't like bass-heavy phones, want good midrange for vocals and some smooth highs for classical, jazz, some other styles.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Beyer DT880 PRO
AudioTechnica AD900
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD598
Fischer Audio FA002
Goldring DR150
Hifiman HE-300

At your budget, I would suggest simply saving a touch more and considering one of those above. At $150 you're so close to getting a very good mid-fi headphone, instead of settling on an entry level headphone that just isn't worth the money. I would save up and invest in a solid headphone that does everything well.

Very best,

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Or....can pick up some Audio Technica ATH-AD700s for as little as $72 to $79 on Amazon.  They arent quite the 900s or some of the others but from the reviews I've found for that price will get close.  I keep looking at Grados but the memories of the rapid uncomfort I experienced with my Grado SR60i's keeps coming back.  I love the way Grados sound, just don't like the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back